The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   New to Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/)
-   -   Colt showing dominance or playing? (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/colt-showing-dominance-playing-196154/)

MsLady 05-19-2013 02:04 PM

Colt showing dominance or playing?

We have 4 horses, we just got them about one month ago (except the colt that is now 2 weeks old). We have 2 mares, one has a 2 week old colt the other has a 6 month old filly. My question is any time the filly comes around the colt he pins his ears and tries to bite her. She is now doing the same. Is he just mimicking his momma ( she has really never let the filly get too close to the colt) or is he already showing dominance over the filly?
I hope that made since. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

PaintHorseMares 05-19-2013 02:30 PM

Colts love to nibble/nip and it is indeed part of a stallion's instinctive courtship ritual.
Posted via Mobile Device

MsLady 05-19-2013 02:40 PM

I have some pictures but I am on my phone, is there a way to post them? Sorry, I looked but didn't find it anywhere.
Thanks again.
Posted via Mobile Device

Palomine 05-21-2013 08:32 PM

Both. It's not like horses can get out a deck of cards.

Both horses are mimicking adult behaviors, and if directed at a human, needs to result in a pop on rear.

Crossescowgirl 05-21-2013 11:46 PM

I agree with all of the above!
Posted via Mobile Device

MsLady 05-22-2013 02:53 PM

Thanks. He has not tried bitting us or pinning his ears at us, just the 6 month old filly.
Posted via Mobile Device

KatieQ 05-22-2013 09:44 PM

He is probably doing a bit of both, but a suggestion would be to separate the two as they start to get older. I have seen and heard that colts often play much more aggressively than fillies, and it would be a shame if one of them got hurt.