The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   My 10 yr old wont let anyone to touch him (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/my-10-yr-old-wont-let-19632/)

JENNIFERM2010 12-22-2008 12:59 PM

My 10 yr old wont let anyone to touch him

Hello, I am new here. I just acquired a horse that will not allow anyone to touch him. The story is that many years ago, he was trained and was a kids horse, then his last owners ruined him. How I do not know. He has been put in a field and has not been touched for 2 years. I saw him and feel in love. It is like he is in bubble and when you get so close he gets so far away, until you get him in the roping pen and literally catch him, then he is ok. You can brush and hop up on his back and everything, he will even follow you like a puppy dog, but if to stop and walk away - you have to start the process all over again because he gets back into his bubble. Can someone please help me?
Thanks a bunch,
Jennifer.

servinator 12-22-2008 02:13 PM

So, it's not so much you can't touch him, he just makes you work to catch him??

Rebelappy 12-22-2008 02:54 PM

CaTCH ME IF U CAN

I kinda have the same problem with my 8 year old the best advice i can say is to do alot of work with him tell he realizes your not giving up , and if hes in a pasture you might consider putting him in a smaller area where he cant keep you chasing him for a long distance .
It seem to work for my horse hes totally diffrent when hes in a turnout pen vs. pasture.

JENNIFERM2010 12-22-2008 03:05 PM

Thanks for responding. yes work to catch - but why?

JENNIFERM2010 12-22-2008 03:06 PM

Thanks for the reply. Exactly what kind of "work" shall I do with him?

zanytactics 12-22-2008 03:11 PM

You might try doing some ground work with him and learning body language. A lot of times just doing different things with your body can make him come to you. I'm not a natural horsemanship crazy but there are alot of excercises that they do to get the horse to be confident in themselves and their handler. It's worth a shot at this point. Let us know how he does.

Rebelappy 12-22-2008 03:18 PM

Yes some ground work is a good place to start hes got to learn to trust you and that does help that alot. Hes got to figure out that you are the herd boss and that your not out to hurt him. i have also spent a couple days with my 8 year old just catching him and release in an arena tell he figured out that im ok to listen to...:?

PoptartShop 12-22-2008 03:23 PM

Groundwork, groundwork, groundwork! In a smaller area is best so he can't go far- as if he's in a big field, you will deff. have a hard time getting him. :D As the others said, he does need to get used to you, & learn to know that you are not out there to get him (well literally you are, but yeah lol). Take things gradually, & soon he should start building up his trust. :D

JENNIFERM2010 12-22-2008 03:31 PM

Will do - and thanks for everyones replies.

iridehorses 12-22-2008 04:18 PM

In addition to ground work, which is very important, you need to give him time to gain trust in you. If he has been left alone for a few years, he needs to be resocialized and come to accept you as the "alfa horse".

If you possibly can, just go in the pasture or a smaller area and sit there with a book, leave him alone and let him come to you. It may take a long time or it may happen quickly but let him initiate the exchange. Horses are social and curious animals - you just want to give him the opportunity to come to you as being his idea.

...and welcome to the forum!