The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   My horse won't use her hind end (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/my-horse-wont-use-her-hind-196386/)

LoveIsTheAnswer 05-19-2013 08:22 PM

My horse won't use her hind end

My mare just won't use her hind to balance in the canter, and because of this she goes way to fast. How do I get her to use her back legs and slow her canter?

Strange 05-19-2013 09:36 PM

I'd set up some cavaletti exercises or canter pole exercises. If you do set some up, make sure you're fully sitting down and making her CANTER over them, not letting her jump them!

Also, lots of transitions. A lot. Walk-trot, trot-canter, whatever, as long as they're QUALITY transitions and she's pushing through and over her back in them. I like doing a lot of trot-walk-trot transitions to really help them build up muscle and start pushing through. Make sure you have a good walk and a good trot before you expect a good canter! The quality of each gait builds off of the one below it.

tinyliny 05-19-2013 09:53 PM

would you be willing to post a video? for riding critique? it's scary, I know, but sometimes the rider's actions have a lot to do with why the horse will or won't go a certain way.

CatrinaB87 05-19-2013 09:57 PM

I'd be interested in seeing a video too, as I wonder if that might just be my gelding's issue. If I can get him to set his head and neck in a collected fashion, he rounds out and slows right down. But it's a big IF.

LoveIsTheAnswer 05-20-2013 04:01 PM

Sorry guys, I don't have any videos :(. I can take one though. It will be a while though. Do you have any exercises that could help?

CatrinaB87 05-20-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveIsTheAnswer (Post 2570441)
Sorry guys, I don't have any videos :(. I can take one though. It will be a while though. Do you have any exercises that could help?

Do you have hills you can ride up? Seems the only time my gelding does engage his hindquarters is uphill.

LoveIsTheAnswer 05-20-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatrinaB87 (Post 2570529)
Do you have hills you can ride up? Seems the only time my gelding does engage his hindquarters is uphill.

Yup! I'm just wondering if it isn't too steep for her. Would it still be okay?

bsms 05-20-2013 04:30 PM

Do you lean forward?

CatrinaB87 05-20-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveIsTheAnswer (Post 2570585)
Yup! I'm just wondering if it isn't too steep for her. Would it still be okay?

I mean obviously you don't want to work her up a hill that she has trouble getting up, but a nice rise that requires you to use your tush muscles to get up probably will require her to do the same.

LoveIsTheAnswer 05-20-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsms (Post 2570705)
Do you lean forward?

No, I work with my instructor and she tells me to lean back.