The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Percheron health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/percheron-health-196482/)

Misa 05-19-2013 09:45 PM

Percheron health

So I'm looking to adopt a Percheron mare and I have a few questions!

Can a Percheron live comfortably on 1 acre of land?

What kind of temporary structure do you think is appropriate to shield her from weather until I get my barn built?

And would a standard adult sized rope halter fit her?

Please don't be too harsh on me if these questions seem bad! I'm trying to learn as much as i can before i consider adoption so she can have the best life possible!

Taffy Clayton 05-19-2013 10:32 PM

Horses do not like to live alone, so no two horses cannot live comfortably on one acre of land. It will be a total muddy mess in about a month and a half, the Perch alone give it three months.

You can use a three sided shed, the wall facing towards the harsh wind.

You need a draft size halter as well as any other tack needs to be draft size as well.

Horse ownership is a big commitment, you need to be knowlegable, as well as a big out flow of cash. Think before you jump in.

Left Hand Percherons 05-19-2013 10:54 PM

She can do fine in as small an area as a tie stall if she gets out and is worked on a regular basis. One acre is more than adequate if you manage it. It will not provide enough food for her and will quickly become nothing more than a dust bowl if you do not restrict her use of it (penning her up in a smaller area for most of the day and only out for a few hours). This is of course dependent upon where you live, your rainfall, supplemental feeding and the shape the field is in.

Depending upon where you are, a simple row of trees to block the wind and give a little shade could be enough for now. They have more problems with the heat and humidity than they do with the cold. Mine will be out in the pasture with an inch of snow on their backs grazing away but they'll hide in a thick of trees in the middle of the day in the summer. They tend to prefer a tree canopy or a larger sheds in the summer over smaller ones for air circulation.

If she's a fine boned smaller mare, than she should be able to fit into a large or oversized halter. If she's a bigger girl, she'll need a draft size. I like 14' leadropes on my draft halters. (standard horse ones are 10-12') I tie my own because they just don't make them sized right and I hate the draft web halters.

What's her history?