The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Help with Sideways Game! (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/help-sideways-game-19650/)

Equina 12-22-2008 09:09 PM

Help with Sideways Game!

Wow! Just found this part of the forum! Hooray!

So, my horse and I started Parelli Level 1 a few months ago. Everything was going great! We're basically to the point where we can do 6 of the 7 Games by just using Phase 1. My horse is very interested in it all, we incorporate obstacles, wonderful. But then, The Sideways Game...we're a train wreck!!!!

I either have to simply move his rear, then stop, then front, then stop, then rear, then stop, then....etc (either driving- or porcupine-style) and he's calm. Or if I send a little more energy his way, he's like a wild fish jerking on the end of my line, sometimes even BUCKING out, and often stepping on his own feet!

As my pocket guides have suggested, I don't dwell on this Sideways Game, but I try a little, then just move on. But now I'm getting into Level 2 and there's Sideways without a fence!

Any suggestions to help us move Sideways?

I recently purchased the Success Series on eBay, but haven't watched it yet. So I have those DVDs, plus Level 1-3 at my disposal.

GottaRide 12-24-2008 10:13 AM

Are you using the stick or just the end of the rope?
Where is your body in relation to your horse's body?

You have the right idea. Make sure you are working with your horse's head facing a wall or fence. Continue to use the driving game to move either end (fore & hind), but make sure your horse only moves one step.

Your positioning is really important, but where you position your body is really dependent on what your horse does. Is he better at moving his hind end over or his front end? Keep your body close to the end that he has more trouble with.

Some horses pick up the sideways game really fast, others get stuck there. My yearling was sidepassing without a fence after the second day! My 10 year old trail horse has been doing the sideways game along the fence for about 5 years now, but still has trouble out in the open (we really need to practice that more!).

HorsesAreForever 12-24-2008 01:57 PM

Me and my mare are just the oposite! We can get everything but the circle game.

Basically work on the hide your hiney game. Hows your driving game?? try doing it the L shape way [it explains it on teh Dvds] I found if I get her to move her hind then her front the second after she tends to move side ways a little better. It takes time! Just keep at it..

Equina 12-26-2008 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GottaRide (Post 216606)
Are you using the stick or just the end of the rope?
Where is your body in relation to your horse's body?

I use either the stick (porcupine & driving), or end of rope (driving), or simply my arm/fingers (porc & driving). Same results no matter what I use.

My body is near his head, about arm-length away from the fence. If I get any further away from the fence, he squeezes through the opening. He is definitely better at moving his hind end (more responsive and less clumsy when his legs cross over).

HorsesAreForever, I have tried it the L Shape way too, but he still got very riled up. I think asking for action in two zones at once boggles his brain! Maybe I'll watch that section of the DVD again to make sure I'm doing it right.

GottaRide 12-26-2008 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Equina (Post 217271)
I use either the stick (porcupine & driving), or end of rope (driving), or simply my arm/fingers (porc & driving). Same results no matter what I use.

My body is near his head, about arm-length away from the fence. If I get any further away from the fence, he squeezes through the opening. He is definitely better at moving his hind end (more responsive and less clumsy when his legs cross over).

I would stay up by his head and closer to the fence than what you are. Put your hand up towards his eye to block him and keep him thinking to move away from your hand. At the same time, use your stick in the other hand to reach out to his hind end and ask for movement. If his front end is still stuck, you may need to pulse your hand back and forth towards his eye to encourage him to move away from it. It's just the driving game being used in a different zone than what you've probably been doing.

Spirithorse 01-04-2009 12:09 PM

Welcome to the journey! Glad you are having fun and success with your horse. Level 2 is so much fun, you and your horse will have a blast! Level 3 is even more fun, but way more challenging lol!

So, if you think about the ingrediants that make up the sideways game, Level 1 style, what are they? Friendly and Driving games. So, are those games broken? Is your driving game really good, especially with this front end? Can you play any of the games and go immediately to Friendly and have him be confident?

If those games are good then we can address you! lol. Body positioning, energy, use of tools and Zones, etc. Stick close to the fence, outside hand held straight out in front of you, just like in the DVDs. You will need to find an energy that is appropriate for your horse. Too little and he won't move, too much and he will pull. So experiment.

One thing you need to make sure is in place is your half circles. Can you easily send your horse out and away from you while your back is to the fence? Send him back and forth until it becomes easy. Then, as he's going, when he passes you start walking down the rail, arm straight out, your other hand using your stick, and focusing down the rail and WALK. Don't stop, you keep your feet moving. If he starts slowing down, that's his problem. You keep walkin. If he gets fired up back your energy off and slow down some, but keep walking. Reward the slightest try.

Hope that helps some! Good luck and have fun!:-)