The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   navicular horses !!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/navicular-horses-19653/)

Rebelappy 12-22-2008 08:52 PM

navicular horses !!!

has anyone owned or had to deal with a horse they were working with being navicular? if so how did you deal with it and we're you able to show it

hotreddun 12-23-2008 08:58 AM

As far as I can tell Navicular is the diagnosis given when vet's have ruled out everything else :? I had a friend with a "navicular horse." The horse had intermittent lameness with no cause and she had to watch carefully what footing he was on. I would say no showing because it seemed to react to stress. The horse is perfectly happy out on the pasture with a buddy, but seemed really unhappy stalled.

farmpony84 12-23-2008 09:13 AM

I have a friend that has a horse with navicular, the mare was diagnosed as a 3 year old, it's 18 now. She has to keep it in eggbar?shoes I think is what they are, anyway, the mare has to have a special diet and turn out but she's pretty much sound and the girl shows her w/out any problems. I don't think she has ever jumped her though.

appylover31803 12-23-2008 07:30 PM

I know someone with an 8 yo paint with navicular. I rode him on two long trail rides and he was fine. He was a bit sore after the first ride (it was around 2 hours) but his owner gave him bute and turned him out. The next day (it was a charity ride) he was raring to go.

He is shod and he is also blocked in his front feet. Don't think his current owner showed him but I think he was previously shown.

Peggysue 12-23-2008 09:50 PM

My son's old mare has it and she ran barrels and poles with it as well as long hard trail rides BAREFOOT... I am not a barefoot frantic my point in saying that is that it all boils down to a good farrier KNOWING a horse's hoof and leg and how they work ... Babs also HAS 3* rotation on her RF... yes it is possible but it also depends on how bad it is ...

Rebelappy 12-23-2008 09:55 PM

well thanks eveyone for your opinion im looking @ doing some light showing on my fathers paint horse this spring in like western pleasure, trail classes and possibly some barrels depending on him but i have had my second thoughts about it so your opinions- experinces are very helpful THANKS--

kickshaw 12-24-2008 10:28 AM

i'd steer clear of the barrels, but everything else should be A-Ok ;-)

g8ted4me 12-24-2008 03:05 PM

Years ago we had a gelding that had navicular and became lame- we did the egg bar shoes and nothing seemed to help. If I would ever come across one I would not go the shoe route and use my very knowledgeable trimmer. She has rehabbed a bunch of navicular horses. They can be sound again so don't give up!

RedHawk 12-25-2008 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g8ted4me (Post 216734)
If I would ever come across one I would not go the shoe route and use my very knowledgeable trimmer. She has rehabbed a bunch of navicular horses. They can be sound again so don't give up!

I would agree with g8ted, although I've never had a horse with navicular myself, there is a tb gelding at my paddock that has navicular (he's only 10:-() but thanks to his barefoot trimmer and a pair of good boots he's sound and rides fine. His trimmer, who also trims my horses attributes his soundness to the boots which get him to walk heel-first instead of toe-first, the latter being the cause of his navicular... i forget why :oops:!

Appyt 12-25-2008 11:50 AM

They walk toe first because of heel pain. Also if trimmed with too high of a heel they will tend to land more toe first.