The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Protection (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/)
-   -   Five Horses Die Of Thirst... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/five-horses-die-thirst-196881/)

WSArabians 05-20-2013 07:10 PM

Five Horses Die Of Thirst...

You know, I just... I just don't get it.
Makes me wonder what other option these poor guys had, instead of being dehydrated to death. Accidental? Purposely?

The San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office is investigating five dead horses that may have died of thirst in a field off Interstate 580.

Calls came in around 8:30 a.m. Thursday, July 15, reporting dead horses that were visible in the field off the westbound lanes of I-580 near Mountain House Road. Deputies and animal control officers went to the scene, where they found five dead horses lying in a field. Two other white horse were found alive but severely dehydrated. One of the horses was given an IV at the scene.

There was little if any shade from the sun in the field, and a nearby water trough was empty. Deputies believe the horses were without water for three to four days. It is thought that the horses died of thirst in the summer heat that touched 101 degrees in the Tracy area.

A horse rescue operation out of Oakdale was going to take the two surviving horses while an investigation is under way concerning the death of the five horses. It is not known who owns the horses that died in the field.

Anyone with information in this case is asked to contact the San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office at (209) 468-4400.

Authorities reported shortly before 4:30 pm that the property owner has been located and is currently being interviewed by investigators.

Read more: Tracy Press - Five horses die of thirst

Tracy Press - Five horses die of thirst

http://matchbin-assets.s3.amazonaws....__07_16_10.jpg

Honeysuga 05-20-2013 07:17 PM

How tragic! I hope justice is found for those poor animals.

Calisphere 05-20-2013 09:14 PM

Let's hope that this was accidental and the owner was in a coma in a hospital or something and no one knew the horses needed help. I'd rather that than knowing someone did it on purpose.

Northernstar 05-20-2013 09:25 PM

So sad and tragic - I had heard that last year's drought and hay shortage in some areas pused people to let their horses loose....poor sweet animals. I hope the others can recover and be re-homed.

Skyseternalangel 05-20-2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calisphere (Post 2573441)
Let's hope that this was accidental and the owner was in a coma in a hospital or something and no one knew the horses needed help. I'd rather that than knowing someone did it on purpose.

I'm sorry but any owner should always have a backup plan so that is not a good reason for this type of thing happening either...

WSArabians 05-21-2013 12:56 AM

All of mine were taking care of this past winter while I spent four months in the hospital.

IF, however, this owner could not afford them and could not give them away due to age/health/training, perhaps having slaughter available would have been a quicker end then slowly dehydrating to death for these poor guys....

AlexS 05-21-2013 09:39 PM

I am confused how they don't know who owns the land, surely someone is paying taxes on it.

KatieQ 05-22-2013 10:07 PM

that is unfathomable! What is wrong with some people?

Calisphere 05-22-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 2574345)
I'm sorry but any owner should always have a backup plan so that is not a good reason for this type of thing happening either...

This is true, but a lot of people just don't think about it. I think part of it is the "oh, I'm too young to die" sort of attitude. I guess I would have an easier time handling the story if it is out of the owner's control. I think that's what I was trying to get across anyway. :-)