The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Lot of horses maimed and killed in OK tornado (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/lot-horses-maimed-killed-ok-tornado-196969/)

Cherie 05-20-2013 09:28 PM

Lot of horses maimed and killed in OK tornado

If you have not heard, a HUGE tornado went through Moore, OK about 10 miles south of downtown OKC.

Right now, the ME has confirmed 51 people dead, about half of them children pulled from the rubble of an elementary school that took a direct hit. They are still searching and that toll could double or more.

It also hit the Orr Family Farm. It is a petting farm / animal farm on the west side of Moore. It hosts that families and schools tours. I have heard it is (or was) a really neat place. They have reported that over 50 animals have been killed and many more will have to put down -- many of them horses.

I do not know if this photo will load, but if it does, it shows blocks and blocks of homes that are gone -- completely gone -- nothing but driveways and no houses.

Just thought I would let everyone know. Thoughts and prayers will be appreciated. The Red Cross is taking donations; they can be earmarked for the 'OK Tornado Victims'. Well over 1000 people have been completely displaced. It could reach as many as 5000 people or more. They just have no idea what the death toll may end up.

waresbear 05-20-2013 09:29 PM

That is so tragic when Mother Nature unleashes her fury :(

aforred 05-20-2013 09:43 PM

The horse community is coming together to help out the Orr family and others affected. People from all over the country are volunteering to house and treat horses for however long needed.

I love horse people, and my thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved, or affected by the news coverage. It is a grim situation.

Cherie 05-20-2013 10:14 PM

We dodged the bullet. One tornado went 20 miles south of us by Dickson. One went 20 miles north of us through Pauls Valley. And the big one went 50 or 60 miles north of us through Moore. Last night the big one went right across US Hwy 177 (the hwy that goes past our ranch) where it crosses I-40 just 60 miles north of us. It went 5 miles north of the big Shawnee Expo center. It was bad, but it hit tiny towns and rural areas. The Moore tornado went right through a city.

aforred 05-20-2013 10:15 PM

Glad you dodged the bullet. We dodged one yesterday. I wish Moore could have dodged it today.

MangoRoX87 05-20-2013 10:22 PM

Celestial Farms was hit, I think they reported 75-100 horses dead..

I created a Facebook Group "Oklahoma Disaster Equine Safe Havens", please share it out. I was stuck in traffic for two and half hours today (normaly a 20 minute drive) and there is no way for me to get to Moore to help. This is the only way I could think of..

busysmurf 05-20-2013 10:28 PM

Just got word that my friend in Prague is fine as well as her horses. Also her mom in Shawnee is fine as well.

Wish others could've been as lucky;(
Posted via Mobile Device

AlexS 05-20-2013 10:34 PM

So glad that you are checking in as unhurt.

The Orr Family Farm is asking for help to evac animals, if any of you are able to do that.

Orr Family Farm Moore, OK is in desperate need of anyone who can help with horses! Over a hundred have been killed and many injured. If you have a trailer, medical supplies please they need your help! Especially Orr Family Farm at 14400 S. Western, OKC 73170. Tel 405-799-3276

aforred 05-20-2013 10:39 PM

They have imposed martial law. No one in or out, even owners of horses in the area. That might change tomorrow.

ETA: This information coming from the Now or Never Horse Helpers FB page

MangoRoX87 05-20-2013 10:55 PM

The tornado was about 10ish miles from our house. Completely destroyed my best friends dad house, leveled it to the ground. I work at the NRHA all the way up by the State Fair Grounds, and our power was flashing like crazy. One the employees who is away on a cruise, her house was also leveled.

It's amazing how much Oklahoman's come together. There miles of cars outside of the News 9 station to donate whatever they can. Chesapeake Energy just pledged $1million dollars to the Red Cross to help in the relief efforts. So many people are trying to get down there to help in any way they can.

The May 3rd tornado hit my school growing up and just barely missed our neighborhood. It still has a big impact on people. Tornadoes are something Oklahomans have come to live with. I really wish they made it mandatory for schools to have IN GROUND shelters...a desk or a bathroom door is not going to protect you from an EF5..