The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Lance got stuck in the fence. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/lance-got-stuck-fence-19720/)

KateS 12-24-2008 02:21 PM

Lance got stuck in the fence.

So normally I go outside once a day usually in the afternoon just to check on the horses. They have an automatic waterer and unlimited hay. Well around lunchtime my brother looked out the window and said that my horses were loose. I just laughed because he often says that to bug me and they have never gotten loose before. Anyway it turns out he was telling the truth. They were just standing in the middle of the driveway all relaxed. So I brought them back to their pasture and I found the gate wide open and the panel next to the gate was bent up and there was hair on it.
Anyway long story short. My gelding must have gotten stuck somehow in the fence (probably by rolling into it) and bent up the fence really bad and cut his leg. He is walking fine and he doesn't flinch when I press on the cut. It must have happened sometime during the night because the wound is frozen and there are tracks all over the yard.
I'm going to go out right now and take some pictures and maybe a video of him moving and I'm hoping that some of you can tell me what you think. My dad says Lance is fine and I know he won't ok a vet unless something is really wrong. The thing is that I am the only person in my family who likes horses so I know I'm biased that way but because my dad doesnt really like horses I would appreciate a second opinion. So I would really appreciate everyones advice. Thanks in advance. :)

kershkova 12-24-2008 03:05 PM

I cant realy give a opinion with out a pic of the wound and not nowing how big and deep it is. But for now if you think it needs it put on bag bam or some other type of wound dressing on it and wrap it with some padding and wrap on it to make sure it does not get infected.

KateS 12-24-2008 04:02 PM

5 Attachment(s)
As you can see he bent up the fence alot and I am shocked that he didn't get hurt worse than he did.

KateS 12-24-2008 07:36 PM

<embed src="http://www.metacafe.com/fplayer/2199...ter_injury.swf" width="400" height="345" wmode="transparent" pluginspage="Adobe - Adobe Flash Player" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed><br/><font size="1">
<a href="Lance Running in Pasture After Injury. - Video Running in Pasture After Injury. - video powered by Metacafe</a></font>

I'm not sure if this will work but this is a video of him running when I let him out.
By the way the leg with the cut on it is his right hind.

peace love and paints 12-24-2008 08:30 PM

**the cut itself doesnt look really deep, keep it clean i prefer to use betadine on my horses, its never let me down.**

steph 12-24-2008 08:40 PM

eeeeesh...silly horses! At the very least, it needs to be cleaned and wrapped. It doesn't look deep, so you might get away with wrapping. It might scar pretty bad though. Is the skin missing, or did the fence just slice it open? If the skin is missing, there isn't a whole lot you can do except wrap it tightly with your favorite wound ointment and keep an eye. If he starts limping around, or if the wound starts to smell or if it starts looking too nasty, call the vet pronto. If the fence sliced the skin (so you can pull the two pieces over the wound to cover it completely), I would probably call the vet. It will scar less and the vet may suggest a better ointment. Is he up on his tetnus vaccine? If not, I would get that in him asap. That's my two cents! :D Good luck!

KateS 12-24-2008 11:03 PM

I don't think that the cut is that bad it looks like it mainly scraped the hair off because it doesn't look like it bled. I think for the cut I will mainly just check every day and as long as it doesn't get worse I'll leave it.
I mostly just want to be very carefull that he doesn't start limping because of the way he managed to bend the fence (which is an extremely strong fence) as well as the fact that he must have thrashed around alot to get the latch on the gate to unhook. He is really lucky horse that he didn't break his leg. Actually if you look at the third picture you can see that he got his leg stuck in those bars which look like they wouldn't have room for my foot never mind his.
Thanks for the replies. I have a tendancy to over react so it made me feel better to post about it.
On a lighter note I must say that it was quite funny how the horses were standing in essentially the middle of roughly 15 acres (never mind the fact that it is open prairie all around them) and dozing off. It was also impressive that they just stood there until I walked up to them and put my scarf around my boys neck and just touched my mare and they willingly plodded back to the pasture. :)

crackrider 12-25-2008 08:49 AM

He's fine! My mare did almost the exact same thing a while ago (although she wasn't so easy to catch!) and did that to her leg. I almost panicked too but it's basically just taken the hair off and a bit of skin with it. Just keep it clean and keep checking him for lameness cause he my be a bit bruised but otherwise he will heal up in no time and you won't even know he did it!

Ryle 12-25-2008 09:27 PM

Yep, looks like mostly just an abrasion. I would put a little triple antibiotic ointment on the area that looks like maybe a full-thickness of skin got pulled off but otherwise it look pretty minor.

jmjackson712 12-25-2008 11:14 PM

Corona ointment works wonders on stuff like that.. But yeah, keep it clean. Doesn't look too bad though.