The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Pacers and trotters (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/pacers-trotters-19729/)

smrobs 12-24-2008 05:45 PM

Pacers and trotters

OK, I was watching this show the other day and I have a question for anyone who may know. I knew that trotters were standardbreds but I always kinda thought that pacers were a breed all their own. Are they both just standardbreds that have had different training? I don't have much experience with different breeds, mostly QH, Draft, and Mustang. So help a girl out here. Thanks

NorthernMama 12-24-2008 06:14 PM

There are Stdbds that trot and others that pace. Not all pacers are Stdbds. Some people say it's bred, others say it's trained. I say it's trained, but the young ones will pick it up from the older ones to some degree.

ohhellneely 12-24-2008 06:45 PM

Standardbreds pace and trot.
It's mostly a trained thing, but some do it naturally.

Lucy [my SB] does a little bit of both.
Right now she's just trying to figure out how to balance herself at the trot.

ohmyitschelle 12-24-2008 07:22 PM

As my knowledge goes, Standardbreds pace and trot... I always thought pacers were the Standardbreds who wore hobbles, and trotters didnt lol. I own three ex-pacers, and they all know how to trot under saddle. Two break into pacing now and then, Bailey does it to annoy the cr*p out of you (she likes to wobble around lmao)... and Honey's only just learning under saddle, and was sacked from racing earlier this year. So she sometimes (very rarely) paces when I ask for the trot. Both horses have lovely big trots on them. Evo just trots, and has a pretty solid three beat canter - both in which he's done since I've had him. When we backed and started him to saddle last year, he never paced, and never has paced under saddle. He's an exception to the rule though, most Standardbred gaits have to be worked on, but it's easy with some patience and right training to stop pacing.
I didn't know there was other breeds that paced. I just thought it was a Standardbred racing thing. I'd like to know more about other breeds that pace!
x

walkinthewalk 12-24-2008 07:48 PM

I am sorry I never bookmarked the really good link to Standardbreds that discusses pacing as being in the gene pool, so this one will have to do:?

Greener Pastures - FAQS

This is a Standardbred Rescue organization. The first paragraph talks about pacing SB's.

Hope this helps:-)

Siggav 12-24-2008 11:11 PM

Icelandic horses pace and also tölt/rack/single foot (or whatever you want to call that gait).

There's slow pace, or piggy pace which is really not wanted and then really fast almost gallop speed pace, flying pace and that's sought after. They only do that for short distances and on good level ground though.

This is all under saddle.

Spastic_Dove 12-24-2008 11:31 PM

We had pacers, and they did use the hobbles. It is trained to a certain extent, yeah.

ohmyitschelle 12-25-2008 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siggav (Post 216885)
Icelandic horses pace and also tölt/rack/single foot (or whatever you want to call that gait).

There's slow pace, or piggy pace which is really not wanted and then really fast almost gallop speed pace, flying pace and that's sought after. They only do that for short distances and on good level ground though.

This is all under saddle.

Thats pretty awesome, you learn something new everyday eh?!
x