The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Roan Hunter (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/roan-hunter-19737/)

Ne0n Zero 12-25-2008 01:43 AM

Roan Hunter

Well. I saw the "Palomino as a Hunter" thread.

Honestly I had no idea horses could be marked down for color. That's so stupid IMO.

So I have to ask: What about roans?
My horse is a red roan, but he's pretty evenly ...roany?

I also have to add we pulled Reserve Champ at both Hunter shows we've been to.. including the first show we'd ever gone to for both of us. The funny part is that I'd only ridden him about 3 times before that show.

Anyways.. Roans in hunter rings? Could we get marked down?

P.S. This is his color:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...Beau/GREEN.jpg

gotxhorses 12-25-2008 04:04 PM

I don't get it either. I don't see any reason why your horse should be marked down. I think his coloring looks good. Like some roans look more western-y. But yours looks fine to me... And if youre placing high, just keep doing what you're doing. :)

Remali 12-25-2008 07:23 PM

I have a red roan, I love 'em!

Really, they can seriously mark you down for color.....that sounds fishy to me.....if I were marked down for color in a performance class I would be filing a complaint or writing a letter to someone about it.

But, I think roans are pretty common and popular in the hunter ring, after all, look at how many roan Welsh ponies and Welsh crosses are out there, as well as other breeds where roans are common.

My2Geldings 12-25-2008 07:28 PM

It's something I don't agree with either. If I were a judge I would judge for the riding not the color of a horse, brand of tack etc etc. That's a prime example of how nit picky and cocky a lot of people are in this sport. Because one has the power money and power to prejudice over something as color, they will and thats really sad.

I'm near Spruce Meadows so the competition in the Hunter and Jumper ring is fierce but you see this type of problem happen all the time.

There are some great judges out there but there are also some who will not mark you fairly because of color, breed or size of horse/rider. Unfortunately I think thats the way the sport is always going to be run.

Supermane 12-25-2008 08:12 PM

I don't think their are judges that won't place a horse because of it's color. It's more like if the judge can't decide little things make a difference, clothing, cleanliness, horse color. Plus, if you are on a horse that stands out the judge is more likely to see it and remember it if you make mistakes. If you mess up on a bay you can be lost in the sea of other bays (I can name at least once when judge thought I was someone else.... and marked me down. I checked the card and it said I missed a lead, which I hadn't. A girl who had missed the lead placed 2nd in the class).

My2Geldings 12-25-2008 10:27 PM

It's also one of those things where as much as I adore paints, I don't think I would get one for showing because they are just to recognizable. I think your horse is just lovely!

ponyboy 12-26-2008 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supermane (Post 217123)
I don't think their are judges that won't place a horse because of it's color. It's more like if the judge can't decide little things make a difference, clothing, cleanliness, horse color.

I think that sort of thing happens in all disciplines that are judged. For example I used to hear all the time that dressage judges hate Andalusians.

PoptartShop 12-26-2008 05:54 PM

Ah, I don't like that either. Some judges are more picky than others, & it can be a shame. It just depends where you show; & how you show. Each judge judges on different things. I don't think color should be an option, I think it has nothing to do with how a horse performs. :) Your horse is so cute!

Supermane 12-26-2008 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponyboy (Post 217434)
I think that sort of thing happens in all disciplines that are judged. For example I used to hear all the time that dressage judges hate Andalusians.

I think judges being bias against breeds is more common and understandable than color. Different breeds are built differently and it would make sense for a judge to prefer the movement of a certain breed to another.

Ne0n Zero 12-28-2008 12:36 AM

So far we haven't been marked down for anything like that as far as I know.

We pulled Reserve in a class out of like 20 people at a pretty big/well known show so we must be doing something right lmao. I just hope it doesn't happen in the future o.o;