The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Dogs and Wooden floors (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/dogs-wooden-floors-197681/)

Incitatus32 05-21-2013 10:26 PM

Dogs and Wooden floors

Don't know if this is where this belongs so feel free to correct me! :-)

This year I bought a house in the city where my college is. It's small but what can I say? I love it! I've decided that when I get settled in a year or so (and get finances in order) I want to bring my cat and dog up to live with me since I'll be leaving my horses, other cats, and other dog (who's my brothers) at home. My cat isn't a problem because she doesn't tear anything up and is very easy on houses! My dog on the other hand is the concern. He's a German Shepard/Blue Heeler mix and has very sharp claws.

Neither his energy, nor his claws are the problem (I take him everywhere I can and do a lot with him, and I keep his claws trimmed regularly). The house was built in the 1950's and is in great condition. It has original doorknobs, doors, and of course the major problem of bringing my dog up to live with me: original hardwood floors.

I've been told by a number of people that it's honest wood and not acrylic or anything else that looks like it and that I need to be careful about scratching it up (especially with a dog). I want to keep the floors nice because I'm a sucker for keeping something old and original in tact as much as possible, but I also want to eventually bring my dog up.

My question for all of the lovely people here is this: Is there anything else I can do aside from trimming his claws as short as possible (which I really do not want to do) to keep the floors in good condition? My grandmother suggested using huge rugs to cover up the floor (she did this with her original hardwood when she had a lot of rescue dogs) but I would love to have other opinions!

Please keep in mind that I'm not bringing him up immediately but when I feel I can provide the best care, and that I know he has a home with my mom until I can bring him up so I'm not in a frenzy! lol Thank you so much for any opinions and/or taking the time to read this long post! :D

COWCHICK77 05-21-2013 10:53 PM

Dog booties?

Shoebox 05-21-2013 10:55 PM

We have hardwood floors and the dog doesn't scratch them up. He weighs a good 200 pounds too, so he's got power behind those claws!

At this point, there's carpets and rugs in all the high traffic spots because he's getting a bit old and he slips. That's one thing you'll have to look out for - the dogs don't get good traction on hardwood. That's not too big an issue when they're young, but when they get older and get a touch of arthritis the slipping will down them. I would advise doing the same - find a nice looking space rug or two and put them in his favorite spots. It'll stop scratches and give him traction - so when he plays and runs he doesn't wipe out! Not to mention slipping can cause splay injuries (from his legs sliding out, it pulls/tears the inner leg/groin muscles). Our boy is just getting over one - took a vet visit, anti inflammatory and hefty painkillers before he could stand up again.

We have right now a rug in the dining room, living room, and a long one connecting the two. We just put another in the kitchen - but we're a bit excessive. He's nine years old and his back hips are bad, so. :) Otherwise, just keep his nails trimmed. You could look into those SoftPaws claw cap things. Make sure there's a good coating over the wood - Shouldn't be too big an issue, especially original hardwood floors. They're usually VERY hard!

Incitatus32 05-21-2013 11:07 PM

COWCHICK77: Thanks! I love the boot ideas by the way :wink: he's a bit of a stinker though so he'd probably figure out how to undo them and eat them.... yet another thing to add to his ever growing list! lol

Shoebox: I've never had hardwood floors (well, not ones that were covering the entire house) so I'm relieved that it'll be durable! As for the slipping I completely agree hopefully since he's still a young chicken I won't have to worry about investing in a great many rugs just yet! Your poor old guy! I wish you and him very soft rugs for hopefully more gentle landings! :D My only hesitation is with the nail caps because he's like a pig/goat. Anything that he can figure out how to get he will eat! I've called my vet a great many times asking if I should bring him in because he's eaten something that should have been impossible to eat. (One time he ate his collar that was on him correctly, and another he ate a plastic container that was in our fridge and in a drawer; he opened the fridge which was latched shut, opened the drawer and ate the plastic. I don't put it past him anymore to eat anything he can! :shock:)

Thanks for the ideas!!!

Shoebox 05-21-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Incitatus32 (Post 2583753)
COWCHICK77: Thanks! I love the boot ideas by the way :wink: he's a bit of a stinker though so he'd probably figure out how to undo them and eat them.... yet another thing to add to his ever growing list! lol

Shoebox: I've never had hardwood floors (well, not ones that were covering the entire house) so I'm relieved that it'll be durable! As for the slipping I completely agree hopefully since he's still a young chicken I won't have to worry about investing in a great many rugs just yet! Your poor old guy! I wish you and him very soft rugs for hopefully more gentle landings! :D My only hesitation is with the nail caps because he's like a pig/goat. Anything that he can figure out how to get he will eat! I've called my vet a great many times asking if I should bring him in because he's eaten something that should have been impossible to eat. (One time he ate his collar that was on him correctly, and another he ate a plastic container that was in our fridge and in a drawer; he opened the fridge which was latched shut, opened the drawer and ate the plastic. I don't put it past him anymore to eat anything he can! :shock:)

Thanks for the ideas!!!

I can one-up you... Our last dog (Another Mastiff, though not nearly as big) occasionally ate weird things. Crayons, Legos. The craziest thing he ate - and I don't know why or how or how he didn't die - was a grenade. (not live). My dad was in the marines and brought me and my brother one.

He went outside and threw up in the garage, and we discovered it in the pile. Pin and all, a whole entire grenade. *shakes head* Why would you think that would be tasty? And HOW did that fit down his throat?

Phly 05-21-2013 11:50 PM

Real hardwood floors are tough as nails. Usually fairly rough and untreated.

Hardwood floors that are shiny, is just a floor that hasn't had dirt roughed in yet.

You want shiny and pretty, cover it. You want functional, let it be what it is.
Posted via Mobile Device

Delfina 05-21-2013 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoebox (Post 2583801)
He went outside and threw up in the garage, and we discovered it in the pile. Pin and all, a whole entire grenade. *shakes head* Why would you think that would be tasty? And HOW did that fit down his throat?

Because he's a Mastiff.....

I swear, anything that isn't nailed down will be eaten. :shock: Sweetest dogs and about 3 brain cells!

When mine was a puppy every time I took him for a walk, I would have to stop and fish ROCKS out of his mouth, multiple times per walk. I have no clue where he would find rocks, I tried walking him in the street and he STILL found rocks!

His absolute favorite was barbie and my lil pony hair and of course wads of fake hair get stuck and I would be screaming and chasing the butt scootin' dog off my carpet and out of the house!

Shoebox 05-22-2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delfina (Post 2584273)
Because he's a Mastiff.....

I swear, anything that isn't nailed down will be eaten. :shock: Sweetest dogs and about 3 brain cells!

When mine was a puppy every time I took him for a walk, I would have to stop and fish ROCKS out of his mouth, multiple times per walk. I have no clue where he would find rocks, I tried walking him in the street and he STILL found rocks!

His absolute favorite was barbie and my lil pony hair and of course wads of fake hair get stuck and I would be screaming and chasing the butt scootin' dog off my carpet and out of the house!

You and I have very different Mastiff experiences!

The Grenade dog would only very occasionally grab something up - always benign. A lego person showed up in a fecal sample at the vet once, or he'd have crayon colored poo.

the current dog has only ever chewed up ONE thing, and that was a wrapping paper cutter (which was terrifying, as it had a blade). That was our fault, as we had the wrapping stuff next to his toy basket. In his eight years with us he's never eaten or chewed another inanimate object (save for the occasional butter wrapper, since butter is his favorite food).

cakemom 05-22-2013 12:33 AM

Get yourself a dremel tool and teach the dog to allow you to dremel his nails weekly.
Posted via Mobile Device

iAMalpha 05-22-2013 05:03 PM

as far as the hardwood i dont think it would be much of a problem.
but on another note my cousins lab mix ate through their wall...... oh and exclusively ate the heads off of barbie dolls.