The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   liberty training? (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/liberty-training-197913/)

xxDreamxBigxx 05-22-2013 09:37 AM

liberty training?

What exactly is this ? From my understanding its just the horse leads like she would with a lead rope and halter but its at free will? So how would I go about training this to a yearling?
Posted via Mobile Device

Corporal 05-22-2013 09:43 AM

Some 20 years ago this was the precursor to NH. If you're interested, IMHO, the best training is Dennis Reis. He has a certificate training program that involves loose lunging. His students gets REALLY good at this, and control their horses with body language. I've even seen a student do transitions within gaits this way. He also pushes backing in circles, and is really big on using your weight to control speed and the halt and he likes to start his colts this way.

xxDreamxBigxx 05-22-2013 09:54 AM

what about stuff on the ground though? I obviously can't ride a yearling.
Posted via Mobile Device

Corporal 05-22-2013 09:57 AM

EVERYTHING starts on the ground. Clinton Anderson has an excellent set of foal and colt starting videos. Since his show is 1/2 sales pitch, he always does a set of programs when he's introducing a new product. I suggest you buy them. You will learn what you obviously DON'T know about training your horse.

xxDreamxBigxx 05-22-2013 10:00 AM

ok
Posted via Mobile Device

xxDreamxBigxx 05-22-2013 10:01 AM

I know everything starts from the ground but the way you made it sound it was all saddle work.
Posted via Mobile Device

Corporal 05-22-2013 10:04 AM

Dennis Reis is an excellent trainer. ALL horse training starts on the ground. All correction is done on the ground. A horse without good ground manners is an accident waiting to happen.
I really think you should look into a trainer.

xxDreamxBigxx 05-22-2013 10:10 AM

I've trained horses before so I think I'll be fine. I just haven't trained a horse this young.
Posted via Mobile Device

Corporal 05-22-2013 10:14 AM

I've never broken in one this young either. Get the CA colt starting series. His foal starting has 2 types: one with a foal that has been handled (imprinted), and one with a foal that has never been handled.
ALL colt starting should be from ground zero, even if you have handled him, so you'll teach everything. You must also be very patient and make your sessions regular but brief, 15-20 minutes, NO MORE.
Ryan Gingerich suggests 5-7 repetitions of any exercise, no more bc your horse will tune you out.
It's much different than training an older horse for muscle building or training for endurance or jumping or chasing cattle or prepping for a show.

xxDreamxBigxx 05-22-2013 10:21 AM

I've heard 10-15 minutes also, but I'm aware they have to be very short. I will definitely look into the series though. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device