The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Steer wrestling...lol (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/steer-wrestling-lol-19835/)

horsey*kisses 12-28-2008 01:05 PM

Steer wrestling...lol

hey guys, i was just curious if there was anywhere in the world that let girls steer wrestle,:D i think they let girls do it here in NM but we have to be in our own group and there are never enough girls that want to do it and they wont let us compete with the boys which is lame,:roll: girls are allowed to bull ride and compete with the men, i think...im pretty sure though lol
thanks!!

SDS 12-28-2008 09:56 PM

I don't see why girls couldn't compete in steer wrestling. Heck, that beats barrel racing by alot! Maybe you could try searching that on google. It would be interesting to see if rodeos do allow girls to steer wrestle.

smrobs 12-29-2008 05:20 AM

I don't know, I'm not that far from you. If a girl was big enough to handle the steer, I don't see why she couldn't compete against the boys. The only problem is, most girls are not big enough to overpower some of the bigger steers.

horsey*kisses 12-29-2008 11:53 PM

that is true, but i dont think a small girl would try it anyway...i could be wrong...im going to google it lol and ill come back with the results

CB Ranch Horses 12-31-2008 08:43 PM

I live in Florida and I steer wrestle a few times a week but only at our practice pen, my cousin competes in it in the Georgia Florida Youth Rodeo Association and the Florida High School Association but he is a boy. I am only 5'0" but I can hold my own with the boys and thats using the same steers as them, I think most of it is just upper-body strength but then again I can bench 235lbs LOL...Ya I wish girls could compete somewhere!

Got2Gallop 01-14-2009 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CB Ranch Horses (Post 220501)
I live in Florida and I steer wrestle a few times a week but only at our practice pen, my cousin competes in it in the Georgia Florida Youth Rodeo Association and the Florida High School Association but he is a boy. I am only 5'0" but I can hold my own with the boys and thats using the same steers as them, I think most of it is just upper-body strength but then again I can bench 235lbs LOL...Ya I wish girls could compete somewhere!

That's so cool!

wild_spot 01-14-2009 05:40 PM

Here in AUS girls can't. We can only run barrels, do steer undercorating, heading or heeling. Oh and the poddy calf ride/steer ride, but no bulls or broncs. Not very fair!