The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   What bit do I use? (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/what-bit-do-i-use-198353/)

horsegirl123456 05-22-2013 10:01 PM

What bit do I use?

I have a question. I'm not exactly sure what bit to use on my mare, she is a barrel horse and has lots of energy and can get bossy at times. I've always used a hackamore because I don't want to use a bit that is too harsh or not enough. I tried a smooth mouth snaffle and she acted like it wasn't even there. What bit do you recommend for a barrel horse?? Pleaseeee help! :?

Phly 05-22-2013 10:09 PM

More training.
Posted via Mobile Device

Farmchic 05-22-2013 10:11 PM

Myler bit company has a wonderful book and video out that explains all about bits how they work and which one would work best with the problems your having. It's a great book.

GamingGrrl 05-22-2013 10:12 PM

I agree, this needs to be solved with more training, not a bigger bit.
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 05-22-2013 10:45 PM

Do you have someone to help you? How does she go in the hack you have now?

While I agree more training is the answer, if she is dangerous and completely ignoring you, and you don't have the physical strength to get her stopped...By all means, up her bit and ride lighter.

Sometimes, you can have a snaffle on and be yanking and pulling and get nowhere when you could just put a shank bit or a combo on and just respond lightly and then increase your energy until the horse gets the idea. It doesn't matter, but you must start light. I am 110 lbs and I work with difficult horses. I am not physically capable of getting a bolting horse pulled around sometimes, by one rein or both reins. So, in that case, I tend to up to these bits:

Billy Allen Bits | BuyTack - Abetta Horse Bits

A very nice transition bit. For you, I would choose one with a short, very curved shank and remember ride light! Only pick up harder if he doesn't listen. Stop and back a LOT.

Have you tried maybe a snaffle with a nose band as well? You can tie a piece of string on the nose or order a real noseband. Anything you can find will work, like a piece of nylon even.

Good luck.

hannabananana 06-01-2013 04:00 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

hannabananana 06-01-2013 04:03 PM

Do not move up to a bigger bit because it might help at first but then the horse will ignore that bit too, which means you should go back to basics, its good that you want to keep her in something simple and mild, the only horses I've seen with big bits are hot :(
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 06-01-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hannabananana (Post 2674793)
Do not move up to a bigger bit because it might help at first but then the horse will ignore that bit too, which means you should go back to basics, its good that you want to keep her in something simple and mild, the only horses I've seen with big bits are hot :(
Posted via Mobile Device

A horse who is hot has nothing to do with the bit used....

hannabananana 06-01-2013 08:06 PM

It shouldn't be, but in a lot of cases they are related, you see a lot of hot horses with big bits and mild ones with mild bits, sometimes its the opposite, but in most cases...
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 06-01-2013 08:09 PM

It's all to do with the rider and how they handle it. Bits are tools, to be used properly.

My reasoning for wanting the OP to go up to the soft billy allen bit is above in my other post. If a horse is dangerous, you will do more damage yanking and pulling in a snaffle than you will bumping up to a slightly stronger bit and getting them responding enough to go back in a snaffle.