The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Cutting and Team Penning (http://www.horseforum.com/cutting-team-penning/)
-   -   whats the difference?.. (http://www.horseforum.com/cutting-team-penning/whats-difference-198465/)

xxDreamxBigxx 05-22-2013 11:19 PM

whats the difference?..

Whats the difference between cutting and team penning?
Posted via Mobile Device

soenjer55 05-23-2013 12:24 AM

Cutting requires only one horse in the pen, with the goal of cutting out one cow from the herd and keeping them out. Team penning has a few horses, and the goal is to cut out one cow and work together to move them into a pen. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I understand it.

xxDreamxBigxx 05-23-2013 07:43 AM

okay, you can do cutting in a team can't you?
Posted via Mobile Device

soenjer55 05-23-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxDreamxBigxx (Post 2596225)
okay, you can do cutting in a team can't you?
Posted via Mobile Device

No, I highly doubt it. In cutting, it is the horse's ability that is being judged- It would be difficult to judge the horse's cutting ability with more than one in the ring. Team penning is done with a group because it's not judged on how well the horse performs/ cuts the cow out/ etc., it's judged on how fast the team can get the targeted cows from the herd and into the pen.

soenjer55 05-23-2013 02:22 PM

Team penning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cutting (sport) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Here's both wikipedia articles, they're better than my explanations, lol.

xxDreamxBigxx 05-23-2013 02:23 PM

can you do penning with two people instead of three?
Posted via Mobile Device

soenjer55 05-23-2013 02:58 PM

I don't see why not, but I'm not that knowledgeable about the sport. The few times I did it, we had three people- one to cut out the cow, one to sit in the middle/ run it from the herd to the pen, and the last to get it into the pen. It was a smallish arena though, so the middle guy wasn't really necessary.

xxDreamxBigxx 05-23-2013 03:12 PM

hmm okay!
Posted via Mobile Device

DraftyAiresMum 05-23-2013 04:07 PM

We had a team penning competition at our local horse expo a couple of years ago. It was done in a small pen set up within the main rodeo arena and pairs worked the cattle. Basically, one would "guard" the opening between the two halves of the pen (it was shaped similarly to a peanut, with a narrow neck in the middle) while the other cut the correct number cow from the small herd and moved it to the opening and then through to the other pen. Then the riders switched places. They had to get the cows through the opening in numerical order, starting with the number called by the MC (so basically every pair started on a different number). If the wrong cow went through, the team was DQ'ed. They were timed on how long it took them to move all the cows and the team with the shortest time won.
Posted via Mobile Device

xxDreamxBigxx 05-23-2013 04:14 PM

ahhh okay!
Posted via Mobile Device