The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Looking for a good barrel prospect (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/looking-good-barrel-prospect-198489/)

Crossescowgirl 05-22-2013 11:33 PM

Looking for a good barrel prospect

Hi, so i have been barrel racing since i was like 5 years old, and would like to get another horse seeings how i only have yearlings now and want to run my own horse, i cant afford to buy a seasoned barrel horse which is no problem because i have trained
Posted via Mobile Device

Crossescowgirl 05-22-2013 11:35 PM

Barrel horses before. But i was wondering what you guys thought of the different breeds do you think that other horses besides Quarter horses and throughbreds could make wining times?
Posted via Mobile Device

aforred 05-23-2013 12:52 AM

I run appaloosas, so I would say YES! But a lot of the appy barrel horses have a lot of QH and TB in them. Paints are another good option to look at. I guess a lot of it has to do with how competitive you want to be, and on what kind of circuit. I just got my 5 year old appy mare to the point where I can send her off to the trainer for her barrel/pole foundation, and I picked her up for under $1500. I have a friend who is a "breed snob" and he tells me all the time how great a horse she will turn into. He wouldn't mind owning her, so I know she's good, LOL.

BarrelracingArabian 05-23-2013 12:59 AM

I agree apps, paints, appendix quarters and quarters all are great options just depends where you want to go. Also depends on your budget, I found quite a few well bred, barrel started quarter horses for under 4000 unluckily for me they are all way out of my traveling range.

Crossescowgirl 05-23-2013 12:59 AM

Awsome! I dream of going pro one day after high school is finished but for now i just want to be competitive in high school rodeo, but i do have one ex pro barrel horse and a horse trained by jane melby that i am allowed to use so i dont need one soon
Posted via Mobile Device

Crossescowgirl 05-23-2013 01:01 AM

Thanks! I dont need a horse that is started i like to put my own foundation on And would spend prob around 2500
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelracingArabian 05-23-2013 01:04 AM

Ya I was just saying in general. It really depends there is a 6 yr old I found I really liked started, roped off of etc for 3500. Good luck on our search :).

Crossescowgirl 05-23-2013 01:05 AM

That sounds awsome thanks for all your help!
Posted via Mobile Device