The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Endurance Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/)
-   -   And so the training begins! (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/so-training-begins-198761/)

Horsesaplenty 05-23-2013 11:44 AM

And so the training begins!

5 Attachment(s)
Starting the record keeping now. I have a notebook for Luka and I, separated into various sections. I plan to keep records on his feed, condition and training.

He and I have been riding on the trail together since February. Got him in January for free and his papers are now registered to me. So excited. He just turned 5 and is 14.3 hands and approx 800lbs.

We are working on getting familiar with crossing, jumping, choosing good footing, wildlife, tieing alone with horses coming and going, etc. I'm working at home on jogging off in a straight line on cue, being calm when strangers touch him and his worst thing-standing still when mounting...He is horrible at this one, but I can mount up like a pony express rider if need be, lol. But honestly, I've been working on this one each time we mount up. Get off, get on, get off, get on...I want to teach him to park out...I think it would help.

Now it's time to start the weekly training to get his body into shape. He's not bad, but could use a little more filling out along his hips and ribs. Although I think with the new feeding plan and workouts, he'll gain some more muscling and fat along those areas and look more filled in.

Here we are after a recent ride and a few pics of him hanging out with me in the back yard.
Attachment 194273

Attachment 194289

Attachment 194297

Attachment 194305

Attachment 194313

Faustinblack 05-23-2013 11:05 PM

What breed is he?
Posted via Mobile Device

greentree 05-24-2013 07:38 AM

Beautiful!!! I think he looks in great shape with the saddle on!

Nancy

Horsesaplenty 05-24-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faustinblack (Post 2602961)
What breed is he?
Posted via Mobile Device

He is a pure Polish bred Arab. He's been fun to have. Though yesterdays ride out was a bit interesting. Found that I may need to add a pair of fly wraps to his legs if we are going to be out in the woods. Those deer flies make him want to take off or crow hop. He HATES them.

He's not in bad shape, just needs some more muscling/filling out in some areas, but he did just turn 5 so he should start filling out more now.

Faustinblack 05-24-2013 10:26 AM

He looks so different from my Egyptian Arab, it's weird how different the types are.
Posted via Mobile Device

Horsesaplenty 05-24-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faustinblack (Post 2605817)
He looks so different from my Egyptian Arab, it's weird how different the types are.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah it is :) I prefer a polish bred though to many egyptian ones today. I don't like some of those extremely dished faces and then some with the underside jaws that actually flare downwards instead of being straight...it's like the nose bridge caved in and so the bottom jaw compensated by rounding downward...kinda weirds me out a little. Its weird but in my brain when I see one like mine, I think "good solid working horse", when I see my friends two egyptians I think "carosel/show horse" weird I know, lol.

Dustbunny 05-24-2013 12:36 PM

What a nice horse!!!!!!!

Faustinblack 05-24-2013 12:46 PM

Mine doesn't have an extremely dished face. His back is short and he's actually pretty stocky.
Posted via Mobile Device

Horsesaplenty 05-24-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faustinblack (Post 2606681)
Mine doesn't have an extremely dished face. His back is short and he's actually pretty stocky.
Posted via Mobile Device

I like looking up the various horses in the pedigree and seeing what they look like.

The same friend with the two egyptians also has a polish bred that is a half sister through mine through the same stud. She is like a mellow QH in attitude, is already standing at 15 hands and she is just 4. Mine stands at 14.3. It's neat to see how they resemble each other in some features, but she is a little longer in the back than Luka. They both have some leg though.