The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   Marketing Tips for Large Number of Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/marketing-tips-large-number-horses-198849/)

Kati 05-23-2013 03:13 PM

Marketing Tips for Large Number of Horses

This summer (early August) I've offered my services to a family friend for helping market some of his horses. I'm not going to go into a huge amount of details, but this is his stock:

Ages: Foals-6 year olds (perhaps one or two broodmares?)
Colors: Young stock are all buckskins [brownskins] or smokey blacks (sensing a krazy kolor breeder here?)
Training: Foals and yearlings are untouched and 2 year olds just getting trained. Everything on up is 'broke' (I'm not very fond of the methods used, and there's lots of holes but I'll get to that later)
Showing: A few of the 5 and 6 year olds have been team roped off of.
Height: Most average between 14-15.2 hands and there are 4 quarter ponies (not sure on how many foals this year!)- one is around 12 hands and the others are around 13 hands (1-3 years)
Personality: With the exception of one or two (one in particular) they're all very level headed, sweet horses. Not an overly dominant horse in the group. I could see them all making great beginner horses with more regular work as they aren't one to challenge you for authority.
Registered Status: All are reg. quarter horses with the exception of the ponies and 2 colts and all are cow-horse bred except the 2 colts who are packing some major barrel bloodlines (and the speed), but for some reason the breeder didn't register? (Mare and stallion both have papers?)

Now, I want to get these guys listed some where. Would you make a Facebook page or a website? Breeder plans on continuing to breed (and you can't talk him out of it) and has absolutely no space. I know the basics of placing an ad:
- conformation photos (in a clean area during the right time of day with well groomed horses)
- breeding
- training
- showing (if they have)
is there any thing else I would need to include? Any tips? There's quite a few average horses, and I don't want the few exceptional horses to get lost in the mountain of average. All in all there's 30+ head

*The questionable horse I was speaking about above was one of those roping horses, but he was ridden by an idiot and needs a lot of work on temperament and riding now because he's become very hot. It's a shame too because he's a really nice horse.

Thanks if you managed to read all that!

Critter sitter 05-23-2013 03:17 PM

there is a FB page that is Iowa Nebraska horses for sale you can list there. I would do a few at a time. and mention you have others not listed.
That is sad that he is a Greeder Like that though.

Kati 05-23-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Critter sitter (Post 2598705)
there is a FB page that is Iowa Nebraska horses for sale you can list there. I would do a few at a time. and mention you have others not listed.
That is sad that he is a Greeder Like that though.

It is a shame. I wish he would get better trainers though. There's three of them, and only one of them I would ever let touch a horse of mine. There's a particular coming two year old who's stolen my heart, so I'm after her for myself (except I can't :/) <3 All lovely brownskin with a huge over sized star and two socks. Not to mention she's utterly full of piss and vinegar xD

On the bright (cute) side, here is one of the quarter ponies to give an idea of the quality:
http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/q...pseeed34c1.jpg
http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps04ccc3b3.jpg
I'm curious what a person would be willing to pay for a horse such as this?

This is the only other photo I have right now, and it's not particularly great. It another quarter pony.
http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/q...s/DSCF0151.jpg

Critter sitter 05-23-2013 05:36 PM

Very Cute.. What area are ya'll in Iowa?

Kati 05-23-2013 05:42 PM

North Central (near Mason City). I also have a few pictures of the coming 5 and 6 year olds (all geldings and mares- there's one young stud as well, but seperate) if you know any one who may be interested :lol:

Endiku 05-23-2013 06:05 PM

Unregistered, unhandled yearlings and weanlings are going to go a dime a dozen. I wouldn't ask for more than $200 per head, and consider yourself lucky if any of those sell easily. Started two year olds, maybe $400-500, the other ones (that are completely 'broke') $600-750 if you present them nicely. Those who have some showing experience might go for $750-900 in my area, if they're nice. They do, at least, seem to be in good condition which is a plus.

For the unhandled ones, I'd catch them and just do the best you can presenting them. Advertise them as a 'clean slate' with no previous training rather than saying 'practically feral, unhandled, etc.' You by no means want to LIE about their experience, but wording things well is key.

For those who are trained or in training, stand them up nicely, brush them (bathe if possible), and put them in a nice show halter or bridle.

Do they have their coggins, vaccinations, worming, farrier, etc?

Kati 05-23-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endiku (Post 2600113)
Unregistered, unhandled yearlings and weanlings are going to go a dime a dozen. I wouldn't ask for more than $200 per head, and consider yourself lucky if any of those sell easily. Started two year olds, maybe $400-500, the other ones (that are completely 'broke') $600-750 if you present them nicely. Those who have some showing experience might go for $750-900 in my area, if they're nice. They do, at least, seem to be in good condition which is a plus.

For the unhandled ones, I'd catch them and just do the best you can presenting them. Advertise them as a 'clean slate' with no previous training rather than saying 'practically feral, unhandled, etc.' You by no means want to LIE about their experience, but wording things well is key.

For those who are trained or in training, stand them up nicely, brush them (bathe if possible), and put them in a nice show halter or bridle.

Do they have their coggins, vaccinations, worming, farrier, etc?

Honestly I couldn't tell you. All stud colts are gelded with the exception of the one above (certain parts never descended, and when he went under surgery, the vet believed that there was only one?). I believe he gets all shots and coggins done in this period but I couldn't tell you. I planned on playing with all the yearlings and getting them halter broke. I prefer working with young horses.

The horses who have been to rodeos at least do have all their shots and coggins. Worming none of them have had (with the except of 'my' 5 that I buy a five dollar tube and worm myself).

I planned on grooming every horse well for the photo and for the more pleasure looking types pulling or braiding a nice mane. I also planned on using my own tack for a nicer presentation (most of it's newer and in really good shape)

Endiku 05-23-2013 06:21 PM

Sounds like that one could is a cryptorchid, which means he is likely fully capable of still breeding and will act like a stud until he undergoes a more invasive surgery to locata and remove the second testicle.

Yes, nice tack and a well groomed horse goes a long ways. Make sure that they are well groomed and presented nicely when prospective buyers come as well. Its all about presentation

Dreamcatcher Arabians 05-23-2013 06:28 PM

Triangle Horse Sales Shawnee, Oklahoma

See if you can find something equivalent to this near you. These horses sell very well, if they're ridden in they sell for decent money. The yearlings and grades won't fetch much but usually around $500.

soenjer55 05-23-2013 06:39 PM

What little I can see of the quarter ponies looks decent. They're in good shape, too. Over thirty, though...
Personally, I think you have the ads themselves down well enough- clean them up, get good pictures, and I can't stress what Endiku said enough: do not lie, but be careful with your wording.
Personally, since there are so many, I would personally go with a Facebook page, in order to have them all in one place in an orderly fashion. Make each one of them a photo album, with both good conformation pictures and some pictures of them moving, etc., and a thorough but simple description of each, including whatever training they've had, their temperaments, their pedigrees (if they're good pedigrees, explain why in a simple way.)
Whatever you do, don't make it sound like you're a cheap car salesman, though, that's a major turn-off for me.
It might also help to make individual ads on Craigslist or some other site for the nicest of them. Mention that there are more available, and to email you for more information if interested in the rest.

edit- also, like Endiku said, that colt sounds like a crytorchid. Definitely try to get that sorted out with his owner/ a vet, because they can still breed and will still act like stallions. Definitely not good if you're trying to sell him.