The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Protection (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/)
-   -   How do we did feedlots and kill pens here in California (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/how-do-we-did-feedlots-kill-198873/)

JustJumpIt007 05-23-2013 03:54 PM

How do we did feedlots and kill pens here in California

Hi there

I was hoping you guys could help us..... How do we find feedlots and kill pens here in California, were the horses are at risk of going to slaughter?
We know about all the regular sales etc- but were hoping someone could point us in the right direction to find those who are even more in need...
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

texasgal 05-23-2013 04:00 PM

Welcome to the forum....

deserthorsewoman 05-23-2013 04:10 PM

Go to low end auctions and buy the ones nobody bids on.......for starters

JustJumpIt007 05-23-2013 04:17 PM

Thanks...
We already go to the auctions and do that, as do another couple of rescues in our area..that's why we wanted to try an go directly to the kill pens and feedlots...
Thanks for all input!
Posted via Mobile Device

jaydee 05-23-2013 04:44 PM

Your local auctions should be able to tell you who they are as they always know who the meat buyers are

Saddlebag 05-24-2013 07:06 PM

You need to understand these people are horse brokers. They bid on the unwanted, take them home, hold them for a while to get weight on or for better market prices. They are more than happy to sell to private individuals as long as they make a profit on their expenses. They don't usually advertise that they are kill buyers nor do they necessarily see themselves as that. Keep in mind, many of those horses are there for good reason, it is time. Some horses just shouldn't be rescued.

JustJumpIt007 05-25-2013 11:11 AM

Hi.
Yes I realize this- but our aim is simply to find those who can be rehomed or rehabilitated who are genuinely waiting on the feedlot- ready to make their Long journey...those who are with brokers are often much better off that those who are genuinely in a kill pen....
Thank you everyone for your input! Much appreciated!
Posted via Mobile Device

stevenson 05-25-2013 08:08 PM

you will not find a 'kill' pen in Ca. No one is gonna say that is the kill pen. Look for feed lots in the phone book or on line. Cruise past them, if you see horses in the hold pens, go Politely talk to them. Dont say kill pen, dont say slaughter .
Just ask if they are selling the horses. Dont expect to get them for free or to cheap. Mikes Auction and Tulare Auction have cheap horses, go to the tracks, talk to the stable hands, give out fliers that you will buy the unwanted race horses, i think they are going for about a grand per horse (TB) right off the track. Look for Dispersal sales. Go look on Craiglist, right now there is a bunch for sale in the Inyo Kern area..

Left Hand Percherons 05-27-2013 12:45 AM

I thought the meat sales were outlawed 10 years ago. Did someone in Sacramento grow a brain?

Cherie 05-27-2013 11:36 PM

California should not have any 'kill pens' or 'horse feedlots' because they are banned by CA law. Go look out on the desert where people just abandon them to die or be hit by cars. So, ask the local sheriff's offices and give them your number to call if they find abandoned horses that need a new home. From what I have heard, there are quite a few being abandoned in CA.