The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Trying to Kick me! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/trying-kick-me-19888/)

CrazyChester 12-29-2008 09:11 PM

Trying to Kick me!

My Mare keeps on trying to kick me. I might be working her in the round yard and she will turn to kick me. I would be feeding her and she would try and kick, even when Im out catching her she will try and kick me.

She has missed all of the times she has tried but Im so scared that one day she wont. I have owned her for around 1 month now and ever since I bought her she has been doing it.

She also kicks undersaddle, I would give her a nudge and she would kick out. I'm not experienced enough to make her stop, if there is anyway to stop it. What do you guys think I should do?

rascalboy 12-29-2008 09:16 PM

You're the boss. If you were the lead mare would you let a horse kick you? No, you'd turn around and beat the other horse's butt.
I'd carry a crop and if she kicks, I'd whack her on the butt with it.
Sure some people might think it's 'mean', but I'd rather the horse glares at me, then my having to be rushed to the hospital cause my horse shattered my leg.
I'd also look in to possibly having a training/experienced horse person come in every week or two, to make sure you aren't letting your mare develope bad habbits. Just a thought... :)

CrazyChester 12-29-2008 09:18 PM

I cant affored for someone to come in every week or two. For a trainer it will be around $200 and I have already talk to my parents about a instructor and they said no.

I will try the crop thing, but if I do that wont she have trouble with whips in the future?

PoptartShop 12-29-2008 09:41 PM

Try lunging her for a bit, to show who's in charge: you. :) Do you have a small roundpen you can work with her in, so you can do a lot of groundwork? She needs to know who's boss, & lots of groundwork can usually handle that.

Got2Gallop 12-29-2008 09:42 PM

Back when I had my QH gelding, when I first got him, he wanted to test me. When I would groom him and went to brush his belly (and I made sure I did it gently as it can be a sensitive spot) he would kick up and try to kick out at me with his hind leg. It happened twice before I thought hmmmm he's just trying to see if he can get me to back off. The next time I was prepared with a crop and when he tried it again I gave him a decent thunk on the belly, enough so that he knew I meant buisness and he never did it again. It can be a difficult thing becasue you have to mean it and not be tentative because the horse will sense that and try to take advantage especially if you have an alpha mare. In a round pen or pasture situation I personally would have a long longe whip with me and run her off everytime she kicks at you and make her move until you let her stop and repeat that everytime she try's to kick. I'm not a pro but thats what I would try. Using a crop might put you a little too close unless it's during a more controlled situation like when you already have a halter and lead on her.

CrazyChester 12-29-2008 10:06 PM

I have a round yard I can work her in, but Im still scared tha if I do hit her with the crop that she will still try and kick me. Do you think I should just give her back and get something more suitable for my experience? She is very green and I have only had 3 years of riding experience and 4 of handling. What happens if she double barrel's me? Or am I just being to soft?

Got2Gallop 12-29-2008 10:15 PM

If your unsure of yourself around her and tentative and you can't get a trainer out at all to help you (I know it's expensive) Do you board at a barn with others who might be able to help you out at all? If not, I think your smart to consider getting a horse better suited to your skill level at the moment. It might be hard if you've gotten attached, but I'd hate for you to get hurt. I don't think there's anything soft about you realizing that she may be a little too much for you to safely handle at this point.

Jdun722 12-29-2008 10:49 PM

Spend a day chasing her around in the paddock with a lead. When she comes to you, chase her off. That will make her want you to accept her because she will realize you are the boss and herd leader and all horses want to be accepted by the leader because they fear being alone. Be dominant over her. Don't give up, she'll come around.

NorthernMama 12-29-2008 11:00 PM

Don't be soft -- be mad! Just WHO does she think she is anyway? She's ONLY A HORSE. You are boss and she's dasn't dare be treating you like that!

Definitely use a crop if you are close enough. The crop is an extension of your arm and you need to use it that way. She needs to believe that YOU caused the scare, not the crop. In the field, carry a lead with you. If she kicks out at you, twirl the lead and chase her away. Then chase her again. She needs to know that YOU determine when she is permitted into your space and that kicking out will only cause you to become more bossy than she thinks she is. I wouldn't make a point of chasing her unless she shows agressive behavior to you. She needs to associate her efforts to boss you with the result of YOU bossing HER.

Remember -- be angry (under control), not soft and fuzzy. How DARE she!?!

CrazyChester 12-30-2008 12:56 AM

Next time I see her I will take my lounging whip and my crop with me. She is agisted, the only other person on the property is her old owner and the owner of the land.