Dealing With Ticks
After finding a few ticks on my dog today (We frontline her, in fact today she was due for a new dose), I was wondering how you handle them when on horses? I do not have a horse of my own, but I ride lesson horses.
I really hate ticks. How do you guys take precaution to ticks? Also, how do you get them off the horses? And fly sprays that could help?
I also have this question. I was wondering just this morning if putting a dog tick collar around each leg could help... :oops:
Quite a few threads on ticks as they are a problem as well as being disgusting
The Lymes carrying deer ticks are the worst as they're so small you easy miss them
I use sprays that are a deterrent and also kill the ticks but I find you have to use them more than it says on the bottle especially if you wash your horses over when they sweat and if its rains - they just don't seem so effective then
My vet recommended Frontline - a dab under the chin and behind each heel but always check with sensitivity issues by using one small patch first
Things like fly boots, fly masks and sheets help too
Make an effort to check the horse all over 2 x daily with your bare hands and feel for any that have latched on - the deer ticks seem to cause a reaction in most horses that causes a small swelling under the skin, the large dog type ticks not so much but the actual size of those makes them easier to detect
They seem to like the areas along the jaw, between the front legs and on the chest and between the back legs and on the inside of the back legs but I've found them on the corner of eyes, inside ears and inside nostrils
Not sure about using dog flea collars, you'd have to check on the active ingredient and be sure there was nothing in it that might cause an allergic reaction, talk to your vet and maybe try on one leg only to start with
Equispot. Apply every 2 weeks.
I have found permethrin is really good for ticks *and* most any other obnoxious bug. It is actually designed for tick deterring/killing. It can be bought in feed stores.
This is what I make myself for horses, and use also on our dogs when needed, and a bit on myself before we go out and ride.
I just print this off and heavily taped it to the side of a gallon vinegar bottle, so I have it to refer back to when I make a new batch.
(Amounts are to make 1 gallon)
2 oz 10% Permethrin/Pyrethrin
1 bottle Skin So Soft (16oz or larger) [I find 16oz to be enough, usually]
1) Put 2 oz Permethrin in gallon size bottle.
2) Add full bottle of SSS.
3) Fill gallon bottle to halfway with white vinegar.
4) Finish up gallon bottle with water.
*** You may want to leave a bit of airspace at the top to be able to shake.
**** Shake before every use, and shake before pouring into spray bottle.
Hope that helps!!!
Preventatives aside - for tick removal (from animal or person), I will never use anything but a "tick lasso" Trix Tick Lasso - Tick Remover
they are the best thing since sliced bread, imo, when it comes to getting ticks out/off of you or your furry friend.
I was just having a huge battle with ticks. I have a gelding a got last fall after tick season and found out he had never been exposed to ticks before and hes 13. He had a bad reaction, swelled up and was oozing where he was bit. It was to the point the whole underside of his jaw had crusties on it. We have now made big progress and its on its way to healing nicely. Just bald patches from the crusties forming and him rubbing from being itchy. I figure it was his body's natural response to not let them into the skin as they would bite, crust would form and the tick would be suffocated in the crusties.
I used a spray that was a mix of regular blue dawn dish soap/vinegar/fresh fine chopped garlic and sprayed it on his body to prevent them. We washed the affected areas with hibatane, applied blue lotion and then swat on top. The swat killed the ticks on contact so really helped preventing them from getting into those areas. I have noticed a HUGE decrease in the ticks on him. They mostly now are just in his tail and I pick those out when even Im out.
Ive also tried to get red lake diatomaceous earth powder but had no luck. Ive heard that putting it in a sock and dusting the horse liberally really helps prevent ticks and kills them. Ive tried to get spot on treatments but no one here carries them and a friend said it barely worked here (the ticks we have are like super breed ticks lol)
Theres lots of other suggestions too in the thread I had started. Some said mowing the pasture although in my case we cant.. its 160 acres of untouched pasture. trying to mow it would be impossible and doing a burn would end up with very bad results and create a huge danger, would most likely result in a huge forest fire.
*If* you can mow/bushhog the pastures, it is indeed the easiest and most effective way to prevent ticks.
Posted via Mobile Device
I use this method on both my dogs and my horse: ichthamol.
After removing the tick, or finding one inbedded, I slab on some ichthamol. It helps draw out the head (if you misses it), the whole tick, or any residue left behind from yanking the tick out.
So being part redneck, I took an old syringe, threaded a length of beading wire through it, and hey pretso, Tick Lasso, on a budget, works good:thumbsup:
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:44 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.