The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Probably a Dumb Question... (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/probably-dumb-question-19896/)

megannigan 12-29-2008 10:06 PM

Probably a Dumb Question...

Okay, so I have little to no experience with gaited horses. I have always rode English on your standard TBs, QHs, Paints, Warmbloods, etc. Recently I have started riding TWHs where I work because are trying to sell some. Basically I have been told "Do NOT let them trot, whatever you do." So I know a gaited horse should not trot, but what are their gaits called? I have labeled them: Walk, Slow-And-Smooth, Fast-And-Smooth, Fast-And-Bumpy (but not a trot), and Something-Kind-Of-Like-A-Canter-But-Not. Until recently, I have thought a rack was the two beat gait that they do that is both legs on the same side at the same time. Obviously, I know nothing about gaited horses except that they are not supposed to trot. What are those gaits called and what's the difference?

Sissimut-icehestar 12-29-2008 10:12 PM

hm.. I always have a hard time understanding all those different names, but pace is where the legs on the same side move at the same time.
And then I know that tölt is a four beat gait where only 2 or 1 legs are at the ground at any given time.

Zab 12-29-2008 11:05 PM

And I still wonder what Crow is doing with 3 feet on the ground xD

But trot is not bad with all gaited horses, Sissi, am I right that icelandics are allowed to trot as well?

I sure don't mind Crow being able to trot, the more gaits to chose from the better. But I can see how it makes the rack more difficult, especially if a horse is learning to rack and is happy about trotting.

BeauReba 12-29-2008 11:38 PM

Here's a website on the rack: Racking Gait

Pacing is when the horse advances both left legs at the same time and then both right legs at the same time.

Sissimut-icehestar 12-30-2008 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zab (Post 219329)
And I still wonder what Crow is doing with 3 feet on the ground xD

But trot is not bad with all gaited horses, Sissi, am I right that icelandics are allowed to trot as well?

I sure don't mind Crow being able to trot, the more gaits to chose from the better. But I can see how it makes the rack more difficult, especially if a horse is learning to rack and is happy about trotting.

True! I try to trot in every ride even though my girl's choice gait is tölt. :smile:
It can be a bit difficult, but that's something we're working on :smile:

walkinthewalk 12-30-2008 01:40 PM

Regarding the Tennsessee Walking Horse it is a huge no-no to let them trot:)

Here's the preferred gait - the running walk

Stepping Pace - a huge no-no with many Walking Horse folks but not me. This is a Morgan, my 21 yo TWH has a stepping pace every bit as smooth as the running walk my other two Walkers do.

The rack:

Just an FYI, when a Walking Horse is truly performing the running walk as its intermediate gait, it's head will bob up and down in varying degrees that depend on the horse.

If it is performing the stepping pace or the rack, the head bob is from side-to-side and can also vary from very subtle to no-so-subtle.

I am of no help in describing the foot falls even when I watch them. I have to hear them to know.

I can say that a hard lateral pacer will move its left side then its right side, consistently as someone has already mentioned:)

kickshaw 12-30-2008 02:06 PM

don't know if this helps you: Index of Gait Critique

Zab 12-30-2008 04:34 PM

What's the differense between flat walk and running walk? And foxwalk?

walkinthewalk 12-30-2008 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zab (Post 219695)
What's the differense between flat walk and running walk? And foxwalk?

I can't help with the foxwalk.

The difference between a flatwalk (a/ka/ dog walk) and running walk is speed.

Sort of the same thing as we humans "taking a walk" VS. "power walking" for exercise:-)

megannigan 12-31-2008 07:57 AM

Yeah, I think the ones I ride do the running walk and pace. I figure, as long as I don't let them get in the habit of trotting, I'll be okay. I rode one a few months ago that was obviously trained and he would do all sorts of stuff with his legs. It seemed like he knew what he was doing so I just sat back and enjoyed the ride :D