The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack Reviews (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/)
-   -   Double T saddles? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/double-t-saddles-199049/)

CatrinaB87 05-23-2013 08:51 PM

Double T saddles?

1 Attachment(s)
The trainer at my barn purchased this saddle for himself but discovered that his legs were too short for even the shortest hole, now he is offering it to me. I tried it out for a few minutes and found it to be way more comfortable than the no-name saddle that I already have, and it seems to fit my horse better. He is offering it to me for 350 dollars, used but it very good condition. On top of the saddle, he said if I purchased it he would put some rides on my horse to help me work out some of our issues at no extra cost. He is trustworthy and a good trainer, and I know him well. His character/training ability/idea that he may be dooping me are not in question. He is a very proficient trainer (I feel I cannot emphasize that enough) but here's what I'm wondering:

Is this a good price for the saddle, without the training? I have not been able to find this particular model online, but similar ones are in the 400$ range

With the training thrown in, is this a good deal? As I said, it fits my horse AND me a lot better than my current saddle.

It is within my budget, but I just want to know if anyone has any experience with this brand and what their thoughts are.

Attachment 194577

Phly 05-23-2013 08:55 PM

They're are not good saddles. And the price seems high. They sell for under $300 at every sale I go to, and they are brand spankin new.
Posted via Mobile Device

CLaPorte432 05-23-2013 08:59 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Double Ts are crap. Don't subject your horse...or your butt...to one of them.

sorry to be blunt, but he's trying to pawn off a crappy saddle on you.
Posted via Mobile Device

iAMalpha 05-24-2013 11:18 AM

if he really likes the saddle except for the stirrups he should know that you can drill holes to make them shorter

Dustbunny 05-24-2013 02:49 PM

That saddle looks to be up off his back at the back end. To my way of thinking it should sit down properly even without a rider on.
I don't care for the rigging either.
I think saddle fitting is frustrating but you want the best possible fit for your horse. There are good deals out there on used saddles if you are persistant.

Saddlebag 05-24-2013 05:52 PM

After checking the website and a few of the saddles, these are Asian made. When nothing is mentioned about what the tree is made of that is a red flag. That's like buying a house with a poorly made basement. If the tree warps or breaks nothing else matters. I am strongly advising you to not purchase this saddle. He's not doing you a favor, he bo't a lemon and now he's trying to dump it.

SorrelHorse 05-24-2013 06:27 PM

No, do not subject your horse to that saddle even if you think it is comfortable. They are not worth the cheap leather they are made of, and any saddle retailing new for $400 is NOT worth it...

IMO the saddle doesn't look like it fits your horse that great either.

You can buy a used, nice, broken in saddle on craigslist within your budget that ISN'T crap like that. For example, my barrel saddle is very nice and I bought it for $375...brand new retails 1k. Plus, then you don't have to break it in.

CatrinaB87 05-24-2013 10:19 PM

Thank you everyone for your honest opinions! You have done a great job of talking me out of an impulse buy, even if it really was just the training I was after :)

CLaPorte432 05-24-2013 10:31 PM

893 Attachment(s)
One week of training is not worth a cheap made, plastic like saddle that'll end up making your horse sore and one you won't be able to pay someone to take it away in the near future... ;-)

wise choice in walking away. You'll find a nice saddle that'll work for both you and your horse. Just have to be patient.
Posted via Mobile Device

Casey02 05-25-2013 12:53 AM

Noooooo. They are very cheaply made saddles. And to be honest it doesn't look like it fits your horse. Cheap and or ill fitting saddles will sore up a horse in no time.

Go for a used NAME brand saddle such as, circle Y, Tex tan, billy cook (from OK, not TX), I would give you more brands but I really don't know what type of riding your after in the first place. You can find AWESOME used name brand saddles for what you are willing to pay for this one. Walk away. It kind of makes me wonder why your trainer was using it in the first place...?

Im also thinking that your horse will not be dropping down so much on his front end if you find a saddle that fits. (I saw your other threads) Saddle fitters are money well spent