The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   What happened to my horse?! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/what-happened-my-horse-19908/)

SallyRC123 12-30-2008 05:28 AM

What happened to my horse?!

My mare is 4 and has recently been out of work for 2 weeks due to a stone bruise on one of her hooves. She seemed well yesterday so I decided I would take her for a light ride in the sand arena. What. A. Nightmare. She is usually the most casual and laid back little mare (quarter horse) and I thought it would be fine. As soon as a began walking her towards the arena (which is atleast 1km from her paddock, she was on the lead) she began jumping around and rearing and pigrooting and running around me in circles and it was so stressful. She was snorting and barging into me and each time I would try to pull her into a one-rein-stop which worked, then I would realise and continue walking - I could get a few steps in before she went crazy again. It look me atleast half an hour to actually GET her to the arena. My arms were ACHING. I got on and walked her for a few laps and she seemed to calm down then start jumping around as other horses walked by, or if we were heading in the direction to the gate she would take off on me. Each time she did this I pulled her into a one-rein-stop and 'woah'. After heaps of walking I decided to try trotting and she was OK, but I couldn't get her to be calm and steady while heading toward the gate, so I started 20m circles instead. Then she began limping on her sore foot again so I had to take her home. She wasn't any better going home.

What has happened to my quiet, casual horse? I went out today to lunge her to get some sillies out and she went so crazy she ripped the lead from my hand and galloped off into the paddock.

Help!!

Miss Katie 12-30-2008 05:49 AM

Has she been on hard feed during her time off?? It sounds like she is very fresh. She doesnt sound like she is acting out from pain.
Also, is there a possibility she could be in season?? Or maybe the two combined?

horseyloon 12-30-2008 06:30 AM

Maybe she thinks its time to breed....
or shes in pain, you should get her to be checked,
if that doesnt work i sugest trying again and again and if she gets really out of hand get some help from a horse expert or somebody, you dont want to leave her until she needs a whisperer do you??

If NONE of that works maybe she sjust being a bit lazy and doesnt want to do what you want her to....

Hope this helps xx

SallyRC123 12-30-2008 07:06 AM

Thanks for your replies, she hasn't been on ANY feed during her time off, except for a few handfuls of hay here and there (she only ever gets hay). Also I don't know a whole lot about breeding however I live in Australia and its the middle of summer at the moment and I'm pretty sure thats not breeding season?

Angel_Leaguer 12-30-2008 07:31 AM

My mares come in heat all year round. Usually in the winter though they just arent as bad (maybe like a day). Instead of riding her I think you should get back to ground work basics. Sounds like she just doesnt respect you.

NorthernMama 12-30-2008 08:20 AM

I agree with Angel... she's had some time off and forgot her manners. Even with a stone bruise you could have done some light work with her IMO to keep her attitude in line. Some horses need that, others don't. If the situ arises again where she is sore, now you know that regardless, she needs at least 15 minutes of in hand work daily.

My2Geldings 12-30-2008 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SallyRC123 (Post 219391)
My mare is 4 and has recently been out of work for 2 weeks due to a stone bruise on one of her hooves. She seemed well yesterday so I decided I would take her for a light ride in the sand arena. What. A. Nightmare. She is usually the most casual and laid back little mare (quarter horse) and I thought it would be fine. As soon as a began walking her towards the arena (which is atleast 1km from her paddock, she was on the lead) she began jumping around and rearing and pigrooting and running around me in circles and it was so stressful. She was snorting and barging into me and each time I would try to pull her into a one-rein-stop which worked, then I would realise and continue walking - I could get a few steps in before she went crazy again. It look me atleast half an hour to actually GET her to the arena. My arms were ACHING. I got on and walked her for a few laps and she seemed to calm down then start jumping around as other horses walked by, or if we were heading in the direction to the gate she would take off on me. Each time she did this I pulled her into a one-rein-stop and 'woah'. After heaps of walking I decided to try trotting and she was OK, but I couldn't get her to be calm and steady while heading toward the gate, so I started 20m circles instead. Then she began limping on her sore foot again so I had to take her home. She wasn't any better going home.

What has happened to my quiet, casual horse? I went out today to lunge her to get some sillies out and she went so crazy she ripped the lead from my hand and galloped off into the paddock.

Help!!

It sounds like she was just a little energized from her time off. I would lunge her well before getting on over the next few rides to get some of that nutsyness out of her :)

Spastic_Dove 12-30-2008 02:14 PM

Groundwork. In my opinion I would get her listening to you on the ground before you even thought about riding her.

zanytactics 12-30-2008 02:23 PM

I agree with Spastic Dove, you should do some ground work that way even when she is full of energy she will still respect your space and not walk all over you.

moomoo 12-30-2008 02:26 PM

I think she will just be lively from the time off :-) She will be back to usual after a week or two :-P