The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

This is confusing me...

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  waresbear 
#1 ·
I ride my mare in a Jr. Cowhorse with the curb strap set really loose (it hardly does anything, I did this for less confusion between this bit and a snaffle as I switch between the two) and I recently rode her in a 3 piece snaffle mouth curb bit where the curbstrap was in effect. She worked good with it, so I tightened the curb strap on the Jr. Cowhorse.

Well.

I rode her with it today.
And had no brakes when I had to open her up to cut off a cow and calf. She normally has tons of brakes.

Whats up?

#2 ·
Subbing, because I couldn't have a clue. I can't help but think any horse I've switched to using a curb chain with has not had any change for the worse. So I feel as though it would be a training issue (somewhere) or an odd one of a million horse who can't use a curb with certain bits.

Does the jr cow have a double or single jointed mouthpiece? I'd say it was probably the single joint popping up along with the curb pressure if so, but if it has a double joint, I really don't have a clue.
Posted via Mobile Device

#4 ·
Huh..maybe try again and see if it was just a one-off type thing?

I had the same thing happen with my mare the other day. I opened her up to pass another horse and then we had no brakes when she was stopping with almost only seat and an eensy bit of rein pressure. I'm excusing mine as a flashback to her racing years; but still no real excuse, so we'll work in it when there's a safe environment and not logs to jump, lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

#7 ·
What kind of bit is it exactly (pic) there is no such thing as a snaffle mouth curb, it is either a snaffle or a curb.

Your horse is probably confused. A shanked snaffle is not a transition bit from snaffle to curb as many people think. It applies both the nutcracker of the snaffle with the curb and poll pressure of a curb. Not to mention it is a harsher bit which could be why she had more brakes. Switching bits on and off can be confusing to a horse as well as you are using different cues with the same tool for the same reaction.

Take a step back and make sure to solidify your cues to one bit at a time. Adjust the curb strap to a proper size (two to four fingers) and keep it there for all bits. Consistency is key.

#9 ·
I think what's meant by "snaffle mouthpiece curb" is that the mouthpiece is not solid/ported and has joints in it.

The jr cow is double jointed with a dogbone and the other bit I'd assume has some sort of double jointed mouthpiece.

There is no nutcracker action with the double jointed mouthpieces she is using.

Another possible problem..Jr cows have a slight gag action, whereas the 3-piece probably doesn't and just has normal swivel shanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

#10 ·
I just used snaffle to quickly describe that the bit is not ported. Its a 3 piece ball jointed mouth.

The jrcowhorse has a dogbone/roller mouth.

I switch between the jr cowhorse and a snaffle is not as a transition or whatever. I use the jr cowhorse for doing cattle work and roping at brandings and so on. I use the snaffle for dry work because I feel like I csn get finer cues across with it. I've been doing this for a year on her, the only difference yesterday was that I actually made the curb strap on thr jr. Cowhorse tight enough that it actually had an effect.

On the other curn I tried on her, she didnt have a problem with the curb pressure.

So, is it something maybe with the little gag action of the jr cowhorse along with curb pressure that doesnt work for her?

She would give to the bit fine at a standstill with just a wiggle of a finger. She also had no problems getting round when I asked for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.