The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Not walk.. what is it? :) (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/not-walk-what-19912/)

Zab 12-30-2008 08:58 AM

Not walk.. what is it? :)

Anyone who can see what he's doing?
It's not walk, but it's not much faster than walk either, just a little. It has a strong, steady 4 beat and tact, feels just a little,little tad bit softly bumpy when you ride (you feel how each leg moves prettymuch but it's still very smooth, you're not pushed around or anything but t's not like the iceladics best rack where you just float without really feeling the legs...), he nods his head some.
In differense to when he's just mixing everything up, he feels balanced, sure footed and raises his back. That's the reasons I figure it's a gait rather than just a lots of mis-steps as when he mixes trot and rack or pace or anything.:lol:

It's one of 3 ''gaits'' I can distinguish (except walk, trot, canter, two beat/flying pace and 'canter-rack'), the other ones being a rack and some kind of medium speed, comfy pace.

So, can anyone see what it is? Or is it just I who think that everything that's smooth and steady with a good backaction is a gait? x)

http://www.elftown.com/stuff/DSC_0039.JPG?y=0&x=700

Please ignore the bridle..I'm a curious person and had to see if the curb we use on him is taking over and making him unsensetive to us, or if we're using it right (almost not at all, he's normaly ridden with spanish curb + riding cavesson). He worked very well on it so I suppose we're not making him hard-mouthed :P

morganshow11 12-30-2008 09:20 AM

first off what breed is he? it is some kind of a walk pace.

Zab 12-30-2008 09:34 AM

Standardbred. :)
Walk pace? It's much less pacey than his rack at least. >_>

Zab 12-30-2008 09:44 AM

..what's walk pace anyway? xD Is there any ''wanted'' kinds of walk pace?

Pinto Pony 12-30-2008 10:07 AM

I ride a QH who does something that sounds similar, kinda a mix between a walk and a trot? but slower than a fast walk? We call it "jigging" and it is bad haha. She bounces along at a four beat gait rather slowly and almost seems on the spot when she gets excited but she doesn't trot.

Zab 12-30-2008 10:13 AM

Well this is a bit faster than a fast walk, or the same speed and it doesn't feel trotty at all.. :/ He's not doing it when he's excited either, he just does it when he's asked to rack slowly (= I ask for it) x)

Spastic_Dove 12-30-2008 02:12 PM

Yeah...I've never even heard of a walk pace.
I think your horse is just inventing gaits =P
I haven't a clue

kickshaw 12-30-2008 02:12 PM

try this: Index of Gait Critique

Zab 12-30-2008 03:12 PM

Spastic_Dove: He's one of a kind.. x)

Kickshaw: the closest thing I saw there was the running walk.. but from the text, I can't understand if Crows was 'better' than the one on that photo (he said it was acceptable but not perfect?) or worse.. or if it was more of a flat walk?

Thanks for the link, I'vebeen ooking for that page :P

Zab 12-30-2008 03:19 PM

But readingm, and concidering I think I've seen photos of him reminding much about the ''bverly'' horse picture.. it can't be..corto? I've never even heard of that, but isn't that some very special gait that 'normal' gaited horses can't do? x) Is it even possible?