The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Making the not so fun choice :/ (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/making-not-so-fun-choice-199169/)

mollymay 05-24-2013 02:19 AM

Making the not so fun choice :/

So for the past couple months I have spent countless hours asking all about barrel racing, starting a horse on barrels and reading as much as possible. I had been working with my boy and was thinking this summer I would finally get to run barrels after YEARS of wanting to. After the past couple weeks it is sinking in that I am rushing my young boy. We have become sloppy, I'm making stupid mistakes and I feel I'm frustrating him. I was so stoked to run a few times this summer, but now I feel he needs more work on technique and I'm just focusing to much personally on barrels when I should just be focussing on him and making him a great ridable horse instead of a stressed out mess. :( I hope I can haul him at least one time to a local equestrian center that does barrel racing once a month but for no prizes or anything it's just to go and have fun. Has anyone else had to bite the bullet like this? I feel it's more fair to trigger to give him a solid year of barrel training instead of the so so training we have been doing.
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelracingArabian 05-24-2013 02:34 AM

Yes right now I am, I have a 4 yr old who I have had multiple set backs on and haven't gotten training wise where I want to be. Good on you for slowing down though :)

Phly 05-24-2013 02:49 AM

Nothing wrong with taking time to do it right.

Our dead broke, smoking fast, gelding was supposed to go to fair and shows this year. I rode him at his first show. He needs work before he's gonna be running barrels for our daughter.

Doesn't bother me at all. He'll work all summer, go to shows, just to acclimate, and next year it's game on.

Well probly run some exhibition barrels, but won't enter the classes. Which is something to consider yourself.
And if a holy crap moment happens, maybe he will run. But no expectations.
Posted via Mobile Device

mollymay 05-24-2013 03:02 AM

Yeah trigger is 6 and has only been officially under a bit for a year. He is an amazingly fast little horse and I know he is going to rock at barrels, but we just have some things working against us and I feel it would just be better to run him at a local fun no pressure type of deal instead of trying to compete this year. At least for the summer. We have an off season barrel club that runs for decent prizes in the winter so I think I'm going to try and prepare him for that instead of pushing for the summer.
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelracingArabian 05-24-2013 03:21 AM

Definitely a good choice. My trainer has a 4 and 6 yr old, the 4 yr old she started to push and actually race this yr however the 6 yr old is just being restarted on the pattern because she is pretty over at the knee due to a growth spurt when she got her as a 4 yr old and was given extra time to close up and grow up in her mind. The 6 yr old is allll race bred dash for perks, dash for cash etc and while very smart and willing, is a total hot head. The 4 yr old is a Frenchman feature baby and much more level headed, she is very quick but not so hot.

beau159 05-24-2013 11:37 AM

Did you get his TEETH checked yet by a dentist?

I know you've been having bit problems since March (according to your old posts) and I sure hope you'll get his teeth checked because I'll bet he has an issue.

You horse was just broke to ride last year. There's no way you should be RUNNING him this year. I am very glad you have come to realize that. Pushing a horse too fast will blow them up.

It usually takes about 2 years to train a barrel horse from start to finish, so keep that in mind; especially when he's only been riding for a year and does seem to have "other issues" going on.

I'll use my horse Red as an example. I bought him one year ago when he was 6 years old. Horrible bad habits and holes in his training left and right. I worked on getting THOSE issues fixed first. Even took him to a reining trainer last month. Now he's soft in the body and face, and he's ready to be seasoned by easy loping the pattern at races this year. Maybe .... maybe I'll ask for some speed this fall. Maybe. Depends how he progresses. These things just cannot be rushed.

Now I know we have been asking for videos on your barrel runs on him, for issues you have asked about .... have you gotten any videos yet?

mollymay 05-24-2013 09:08 PM

Hey! Ok first his mouth, I rode him on Wednesday and he was perfectly fine! >:/ I think the head tossing was a way to get under my skin but we will see how he does on sunday.
I know it generally takes over a year in barrel training at LEAST to get anywhere near winning, but this year I didn't want to run to win, I wanted to run for experience for both of us.
The videos I have not been able to get which is frustrating. My trainer won't record for us, and the other girls are always so busy at the barn I hate asking and last week there was just to many people riding in the arena to set up barrels. :/ anyhow when my excuses run put I will have videos! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

QHriderKE 05-24-2013 10:15 PM

Ugh. Story of my life. Too eager to run barrels, fudged up, retrained, and still I am not getting anywhere. You are not alone,OP. I have thought about making tons of threads to complain and rant and whine, buuut its not gonna get me anywhere. At this point, I havr been stuck in the same spot all spring. Horse is a saint one day, shows progress, and the next ride, crushes my hopes. Lol. I just recently thought that if I can get this horse to work for me in the end, I can get any horse to work for me. Alright. Rant of the day over.

mollymay 05-25-2013 02:22 AM

Amen!!! If I can get trigger to someday run barrels I can get any horse to run barrels!
Posted via Mobile Device

Baylee 06-15-2013 12:11 AM

I am doing the same thing! My little mare is 6 and I've been training her 2 summers on barrel patterns. Only this summer have we gone to shows but we just trot/canter the patters. Take time to work on the patterns, there's no rush! :)

Our first show she spooked at the white chalk and we DQ'd the pattern. When ever we had a set back ( like being spooky of the chalk) we would practice it-only I turned it into a game and made it fun to go over the chalk and now she's gotten to the point where she will play with the chalk when I'm trying to set up a pattern!! Just be patient and things will work out :)