The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Question about mini donkey and mare?! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/question-about-mini-donkey-mare-199385/)

Chechatonga 05-24-2013 02:46 PM

Question about mini donkey and mare?!

Our three mares are in the neighbor's pasture next door while we expand our fence. They are separated from his horses and donkeys by a wire fence. The last two days my Tennessee Walker mare has been sort of arguing through the fence with the neighbor's paint mare, who is always followed around by a mini donkey (we all joke he is in love with Bobbie the paint mare). I had assumed the mini donkey was gelded like his older Paint gelding since we never see foals of any sort over there and he has two other donkeys. I am still not sure, and haven't had a chance to ask the neighbor. My question is, is it possible for that mini donkey to cover my mare? Please don't laugh at my stupid question, I feel silly even asking this question. My concern was when the mini donkey squeezed through the fence and started following Montana around, which made Bobbie pretty pissed off. We quickly went and fixed the fence and got him back to the right side, but I just wondered if such thing was possible. We do NOT want to breed the Tennessee Walker, as she was given to us by someone who could not afford her and she is way way underweight. In NO shape to be bred, nor do I advocate random accident breeding. We will be moving the horses back over to our side tomorrow so its just a temporary concern, but I figured we should be careful just in case. Anyone know the answer?? I don't know much about donkeys, to be honest. I swear that mini donkey was wagging his tail like crazy and braying at Montana every time she turned her butt towards him and waltzed away. Do donkeys wag their tails? It was NOT like swishing for flies.

BlueSpark 05-24-2013 02:58 PM

My BO has a gelded donkey who follows the mares around and is very possessive of the mares when they are in heat. He has to be locked up when we are breeding mares because he will try to break into the yard and pick a fight with the stallion.

Chechatonga 05-24-2013 03:24 PM

Well that sorta makes me feel better! I can't imagine my neighbor being so irresponsible as to not tell me if he wasn't gelded, but you just never know.

jaydee 05-24-2013 03:43 PM

Theres no accounting for what horses and donkeys will do and they can get obsessions regardless of sexuality
I would be worried about my mare kicking or front leg striking through the fence at her admirer though and getting caught up in it. Mares especially have this habit of touching noses and then squealing and lashing out

Chechatonga 05-24-2013 04:13 PM

That is exactly what Bobbie, the neighbor's paint mare, and Montana were doing. Squealing, etc. And then Montana would sort of turn, stick her butt in mini donkey's face and waltz a little ways away, and donkey would start hee hawing up a storm. I didn't see any kicking, not at the wire fence anyway, but things always happen when I turn my back for five minutes, it seems. Today everyone seems calm and back to normal again. I just don't want to find out that mini donkey covered her when I wasn't looking!

jaydee 05-24-2013 04:29 PM

I'd be more worried about her getting caught in the fence - my pinto has kicked holes in doors & walls when other horses have tried to check her out over the stable door - she's fine in the field though as she tends to avoid saying Hi over the fence

Chechatonga 05-25-2013 11:12 AM

Turns out the donkey is gelded. Apparently he is just a flirt! We are moving them back to this side today, so nobody will be getting stuck in any fences.