The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Dont know what to do. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/dont-know-what-do-19979/)

Dasher41 12-31-2008 02:55 PM

Dont know what to do.

okies
i have had my mares teeth filed and she has had her wolf teeth out so no problems there

after that i rode he rin her normal bit (which before the teeth she was fine in) its a hanging cheek french link, she was also in a plain cavasson noseband, when trotting and if you applied a bit of pressure say a half halt or a sign to walk she would throw her head up and open her mouth. so i put a flash on, she was better had more brakes actually too much brakes only a little pressure and she would come to a dead stop, she would still toss her head when trotting evan if i didnt have contact, i tried pushing her on to get her out of it that didnt work.i showed my friend what she done all i done was a little pull nothing much at all and she shock her head so we agreed to change the bit.

changed it to a eggbutt snaffle today and took her into the school again with the flash on too much brakes way too much, tossing her head in walk trot and violenty in canter that much i was actualy scared and nearly got off.

im at a dead end now, although i had her in a bitless (german hackamore) when i was waiting for her teeth to come out and healing she was ok in that, now do i put her back in it or is there anything else i can try.

bear in mind she is only rising 4 and very soft mouthed

Spastic_Dove 12-31-2008 03:02 PM

Is her back okay? Does the saddle fit? When did you have her teeth done? Was it very recent?

Just a simple smooth snaffle shouldn't cause her to toss her head from my experience. You could try to put her back into the hackamore if you want..

How long has she been under saddle?

Dasher41 12-31-2008 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spastic_Dove (Post 220305)
Is her back okay? Does the saddle fit? When did you have her teeth done? Was it very recent?

Just a simple smooth snaffle shouldn't cause her to toss her head from my experience. You could try to put her back into the hackamore if you want..

How long has she been under saddle?

her teeth were done end of november,
saddle was fitted 4th december
back is fine

she had been under saddle properly since september.
started back in may then turned her away from middle june to sept.

StormyBlues 12-31-2008 09:50 PM

Was she breathing really hard? My mare did this the day before last and today and we changed her bit and she was better. she is now in a full cheack happy mouth, maybe you would try that?:? this is quite puzzleing!

luvs2ride1979 01-01-2009 12:39 AM

Hmm, I wonder if the vet did any nerve damage pulling those wolf teeth? I'd have her looked at by another vet, one who specializes in equine dentistry.

StormyBlues 01-01-2009 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvs2ride1979 (Post 220600)
Hmm, I wonder if the vet did any nerve damage pulling those wolf teeth? I'd have her looked at by another vet, one who specializes in equine dentistry.

I think that idea is a good one!

kershkova 01-01-2009 07:37 PM

Ive herd about that happening also it can hurt them if you ride when their mouth is still sore but that stops like a day later or so. You should call the vet and get your horse looked at.

Miss Katie 01-01-2009 08:07 PM

Also, have you checked that the bits arnt pinching, or dont have rough bits of metal or dried grass that could be making her uncomfortable.

megannigan 01-03-2009 08:28 PM

If she was fine before you had the teeth done and bad after, then obviously its her teeth. Get someone who specializes in equine dentistry to look her over and ride her bitless until she's better. There's no point in messing with her if you know she should be fine when her mouth feels better.

CJ82Sky 01-03-2009 09:00 PM

I've also found that some horses will not tolerate a simple snaffle - my one horse prefers a mullen mouth pelham to any single jointed snaffle b/c he has a shallow roof to his mouth and the snaffle pokes him and is very painful. once you follow up on the teeth issues, you can also try a mullen happy mouth or any happy mouth - i've had great success with those bits!