The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Help! horse with colic!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/help-horse-colic-199881/)

BarnDoogle 05-25-2013 11:03 AM

Help! horse with colic!!

Okay, so I know quite a bit already, and I have no idea if any of you are going to be of any help, but I do not know where to turn.... I am freaking out because my horse got strangles a week ago. I have dealt with many horses who have had strangles before, so I knew it was not a big deal. Since I am boarding this horse, I called the vet out anyways and he said the horse didn't have ******* strangles so I was relieved... But now... This horse has colic, I have dealt with colic many times too, but I do not know if he will make it through surgery with his strangles... I bought mineral oil, but the vet cannot make it out here, and the horse does not want to get up..

There is no real question here, but I would really appreciate some advice, good or bad on what to do.....:cry:

FlyGap 05-25-2013 11:11 AM

28 Attachment(s)
You must get the vet out! Any vet ASAP.

They need to tube the oil, and give pain meds. Time is of the upmost importance!
Posted via Mobile Device

BarnDoogle 05-25-2013 11:33 AM

Okay thanks.... do you think I should chance putting him through surgery? I'm really not sure..

cowgirl4753 05-25-2013 11:46 AM

Through surgery for what? If the vet gets out there in time they may be able to get him through without surgery. I have had a couple horses colic that never had to have surgery, but like with so much horse stuff every horse and case is different.

You need a vet ASAP, especially if he is down and not getting up!!
Posted via Mobile Device

FlyGap 05-25-2013 11:46 AM

28 Attachment(s)
Get the vet out first. Get the horse up and moving too. Have you checked his gut noises? Is he groaning?

This could be mild and easily treatable. If not its up to the vet if surgery is necessary or would be beneficial after doing everything possible first.

Would I do it? Probably not for one of mine, but I would only make that decision if it was a last resort. After you get the vet there he will have some tricks up his sleeve that I won't suggest without him being seen.

Good luck! I'll keep him in my prayers!
Posted via Mobile Device

AnrewPL 05-25-2013 12:05 PM

Sorry for your problems, its never good to have a horse in trouble like that, I had one die on me about 8 months ago and I know how it feels to stand there helpless not able to do anything. I doubt you need me or anyone else to tell you that options numbers 1, 2 and 3 is to get a vet there fast, but, if you are looking at a dead horse and no vet type of situation and nothing to loose well here’s what I can say.

There are a bunch of things that are called colic, so I don’t know if what I can say will be any good, however I have seen my uncle, who has been breeding horses since before I was born, save horses from, I think sand colic maybe, by getting a garden hose, a jar of Vaseline and putting the horse in a stall or something, something where it cant kick you if you are behind it. Lube up the garden hose and stick it in its bum, stick it up there a fair way, and gently turn on the water. It will flush out the horse. I saw him save a few like that.

The other one I saw, and I have no idea how or why it works, is what I saw the Bedouin I lived with in Jordan do with horses that couldn’t pass faeces or urine. They would get a big can, .like an old 10 kilo flour can, it has to be metal because you need to light a fire in the can, and pull the lid off. They would then start a small fire in the can, just start it with a bit of paper and some twigs, but a pretty good little fire. They they would get a few hand fulls of date seeds and put them on the fire and get them burning. They smoke up pretty good, and once they were producing smoke they would cover the top of the can enough to catch a heap of the smoke but not enough to put out the fire. Then they would get the sick horse and force it to breath in a heap of the smoke, as much as possible. They'd do this a few times, the horse didn't like it, but they’d twitch it or something and make it breath in the smoke. Once they had done this, they’d keep the horse moving, even trotting if they could make it. Usually within 15 minutes it'd loosen everything up and the horse would come good. I guess there must be some chemical in the date seeds that gets released through burning and absorbed by the horse's lungs.

BarrelracingArabian 05-25-2013 12:46 PM

Ya surgery for what? You need to call the vet immediately!

Delfina 05-25-2013 12:57 PM

Administer Banamine if you have any, get the horse up and moving an call a Vet. If your Vet won't come call ANY Vet, call ALL Vets!!! Ask every Vet that refuses for a number of an emergency Vet.... you will find one and you really need one!

nvr2many 05-25-2013 01:12 PM

Hopefully you have one out and that is why we have not heard anything. Praying he is ok.

SlideStop 05-25-2013 01:13 PM

Above all GET A VET OUT, any vet! Idc if he graduated vet school one hour ago.

Does your barn have banamine on hand? It's muscle relaxer and we ALWAYS have it on hand for colic. We usually give 10mL.

Have someone hold his head up and tube him the mineral oil. When/if he poos put some of it in a container, shake it slightly and see of there any oil passing.

We let our horses lay down for short periods, as long as they aren't thrashing. As soon as they want to roll someone is RIGHT behind them getting them up and moving.
Posted via Mobile Device