The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Saddle Girth Sore (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/saddle-girth-sore-199929/)

tinaev 05-25-2013 12:24 PM

Saddle Girth Sore

I notice that each time I ride when I remove my horse's saddle there's a certain spot (almost in what I'd call his "armpit") under the cinch where he's been rubbed raw. If we ride for any amount of time it will be bleeding when I take the saddle off.

Right now I'm using a felt Weaver Smart Cinch. Which I really liked, but obviously it doesn't like him. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem or do I need to buy a new cinch?

Endiku 05-25-2013 12:41 PM

Sounds to me like the saddle may be too far forward. Your girth should not be rubbing his 'arm pit', but rather be on the smooth part of his heart girth, an inch or so back from his foreleg. Otherwise you are impeding his movement and therefore it is rubbing each time he takes a step. The sore you're seeing is likely a blister of sorts from the constant rubbing.

nvr2many 05-25-2013 12:54 PM

^^^ Yep! Is your smart cinch causing the latigo to not sit right?? I used to have one and hated it. Never laid right. Now I use a weaver felt without the smart, :lol: and love it!

Dustbunny 05-25-2013 01:02 PM

You may also have a saddle fit problem.
Had the same problem a few years ago and it was saddle fit.

smrobs 05-25-2013 01:11 PM

Is there any way you can get pictures of exactly where the sore is at? Also, pictures of your saddle on him so that we can see how the saddle fits and exactly where it sits.

It may be a cinch problem, a fit problem, or your tack might be laying in the wrong place. Certain horses can't have a saddle that has a full rigging because it leaves the cinch too far forward and they end up needing a 7/8ths or 3/4 rigging to keep the saddle where it needs to be but move the cinch back out from under their elbow.

tinaev 05-25-2013 01:29 PM

The sore is about an inch, or maybe even a little farther back from his leg. I've been paying attention to try to keep the cinch farther back from his leg, but it seems like by the end of the ride it's slid farther forward. I'm a beginner and don't really know the proper terminology for all the saddle parts, sorry.

I can try to get a couple of pictures. I've been using the same saddle and set up since February and it hasn't caused a problem until a few weeks ago. I was thinking maybe his thicker winter coat was protecting him?

Here's a photo I have from a couple months ago. IMO, the saddle is cinched up too tight here. This was taken a few weeks before he started getting the sore, when he had most of his winter coat still. I will try to get a photo of the sore this weekend and post it.

Thanks for all the help!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...ps6453b438.jpg

Dustbunny 05-25-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 2613921)
It may be a cinch problem, a fit problem, or your tack might be laying in the wrong place. Certain horses can't have a saddle that has a full rigging because it leaves the cinch too far forward and they end up needing a 7/8ths or 3/4 rigging to keep the saddle where it needs to be but move the cinch back out from under their elbow.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a saddle that didn't have adjustment rigging options for this very reason. Even if the saddle fits the horses back, if the rigging placement causes sores you got problems.

OP...good luck in solving this problem. It's not fun.

nvr2many 05-25-2013 01:43 PM

I agree DB. Hard to tell from the picture but it could be a tad too far forward. Cute pic by the way.

tinaev 05-25-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

There is another ring to the right of the ring you can see in the picture. It doesn't have the leather strap attached to it, but I'm sure that can be fixed somehow. Is that what you mean by having different rigging?

nvr2many 05-25-2013 01:55 PM

Um, yes, you can use front, back or both. Let me find a pic. No need for another strap.