The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Adventure ride... (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/adventure-ride-200017/)

ansinfamily 05-25-2013 04:18 PM

Adventure ride...

Well today is day 2 of my adventure riding with my 8 yo mare. By adventure ride I mean walk 2 steps where I want her to go then she walks 10 wherever she wants to go. She has never been so bad. We are only walking trails on my own property. I am proud of one accomplishment today, she finally crossed water! First 2 at a walk, third time she jumped. lol. We even worked some hills and crossed roads without many issues. :) Overall a good time but I wish I didn't have to fight her so much. She's so darn stubborn!
Posted via Mobile Device

Roadyy 05-28-2013 11:47 AM

I am not up to speed on your story and this horse, but how much time have you invested in the ground work to build the trust and dominance with it? Doing a lot of ground work before getting to the riding part of the partnership will make the ride all the much better. I know it means trading riding time for work time, but it will be so worth it when you climb on and its all enjoyment.

ansinfamily 05-30-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadyy (Post 2636401)
I am not up to speed on your story and this horse, but how much time have you invested in the ground work to build the trust and dominance with it? Doing a lot of ground work before getting to the riding part of the partnership will make the ride all the much better. I know it means trading riding time for work time, but it will be so worth it when you climb on and its all enjoyment.

She has had a ton of training and groundwork. Unfortunately she just doesn't listen on the trail. We've rode more since posting and she's done better overall. Her major issue is buddy and barn sour. We've been trying to go farther away from the barn and everytime we go to start the different route something startles her. Planning on doing even more desensitizing. She's a really stubborn and spooky horse.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chevaux 05-30-2013 12:49 PM

Keep at it Ansin. Sounds like you've got a plan in place and with more miles on her it will pay off.

Roadyy 05-30-2013 01:09 PM

Agree with Chevaux about keeping at the plan. Hope to read about your adventures of enjoyment soon.

thenrie 05-31-2013 05:22 AM

Spurs. Get a pair and learn how to use them properly. There is nothing I have found that changes a horse's attitude from ornery to willing quicker than properly used spurs.

riette 05-31-2013 08:03 AM

I agree with thenri. some proper work with whip her into shape and get that bad attitude out of the horse. I just had the same problem with my mare and once I got her out of the pasture and working she did great. and if she is really that barn sour then keep her by her self or away from her buddies for a while. the more she is left alone the more she will appreciate the work you have her do. good luck :)