The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Changing their name? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/changing-their-name-20030/)

WildHeartsCantBeBroken 01-01-2009 12:13 PM

Changing their name?
 
Can you change a horses name if he is 14 years old? I really don't like his name but if its better not to change it thats fine because I still love him more than anything. Just curious:-)

Joshie 01-01-2009 12:17 PM

They'll come to whatever you call them.

Vidaloco 01-01-2009 12:22 PM

I changed my horses name when I got her. She was called Midnight but her registered name is Mi Vida Loca so I call her Vida. They will come to whoever feeds them :lol:

WildHeartsCantBeBroken 01-01-2009 12:27 PM

oh good! Yeah he just came up to us we didn't even call his name I just wanted to make sure before doing it.

So now to figure out what to call him!

My2Geldings 01-01-2009 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildHeartsCantBeBroken (Post 220794)
Can you change a horses name if he is 14 years old? I really don't like his name but if its better not to change it thats fine because I still love him more than anything. Just curious:-)

You can always change a name. I would never change a registration name because I find it's a disrespectful thing to do towards the breeder. The name was given thought and most of the time it represents the lineage. As for the barn name or regular day to day name I think it depends. Cobalt responds to his name so I would be pretty mad if someone else who were to buy him were to change it.
If you horse doesn't answer to it, then why not!

Spyder 01-01-2009 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My2Geldings (Post 220814)
You can always change a name. I would never change a registration name because I find it's a disrespectful thing to do towards the breeder. The name was given thought and most of the time it represents the lineage. As for the barn name or regular day to day name I think it depends. Cobalt responds to his name so I would be pretty mad if someone else who were to buy him were to change it.
If you horse doesn't answer to it, then why not!

I agree. My horses registered name is not Spyder, it is his barn name. I gave him his registered name and if I ever sold him (which I never would) I would be very very unhappy if they changed his registered name.

WildHeartsCantBeBroken 01-01-2009 12:38 PM

Oh I would never change a registered name! He isn't registered so I don't have to worry about that. I don't know if his name Maximus is his original name or not. The people we're buying him from have only had him for about a month or so, he was a rescue. So know hows if he had a different name before as well.

Spyder 01-01-2009 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildHeartsCantBeBroken (Post 220823)
Oh I would never change a registered name! He isn't registered so I don't have to worry about that. I don't know if his name Maximus is his original name or not. The people we're buying him from have only had him for about a month or so, he was a rescue. So know hows if he had a different name before as well.

Then give him a name that is from your heart and one that suits him.

I am sure as long as he is loved he will come to even "hey you".

Joshie 01-01-2009 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My2Geldings (Post 220814)
You can always change a name. I would never change a registration name because I find it's a disrespectful thing to do towards the breeder. The name was given thought and most of the time it represents the lineage.

We didn't change the registered name either. When we got Joshua, our trainer couldn't remember his barn name. My daughter wanted to name him anyway. We looked online at a baby name database. She said she wanted a name that meant something and liked the letter J so we looked at boy names starting with J. When we came across Joshua our boy had his name!

We later discovered Joshua's former barn name. It was a bit too close to the name of a dog we had to give away several years ago. Joshua fits our boy so much better.

Kura 01-04-2009 07:16 PM

My horse's barn name is part of his registered name, and he's been called it for long before I got him (he's 15 now). I don't like it much either, but he answers to it pretty well, so I figure I might as well keep it as it is. Plus, I've gotten so used to it by now I barely notice how it doesn't fit him. Frosty of Misty Mountain for a dark chestnut horse? I'd really love to meet the person who named him...
Anyway, I'd just go with whatever the horse answers to and what fits him. It's really up to you, it won't matter much either way, I would think.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0