The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Bloodline to keep alive? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/bloodline-keep-alive-200345/)

Wheatermay 05-26-2013 03:24 AM

Bloodline to keep alive?

So my friend just picked up this stallion that she planned on gelding until I started looking at his bloodlines. He has 12 of the foundation quarter horses in his bloodlines and they are bred into him about 60 times! And no Thoroughbreds in it since the 1940.
Pocos Tardybar Bingo Quarter Horse
If you cannot open the link the stallions (and the number of times I counted them appearing in his pedigree) are Kings #p-234 (9), Poco Bueno (2), Old Sorrel (24), Peppy (3), Wimpy P-1 (4) Midnight (7), Skipper W (1), Plaudit (5), Driftwood (1), Leo (1), Joe Reed II (1) and Three Bars (2).

He's a VERY nice looking horse! He's turning 14 in a few days, and still a stallion, and her first horse since she was a kid! So she will be learning on him. Which I obviously was against until I met him. I have not met such a well mannered horse EVER! Stallion or not, he is the calmest and most obedient fellow! We do not know if he has ever been bred and we will be testing his manners with a mare in season in the next week. If he passes that she is going to wait to geld him until fall hits to prevent infection. HE WILL be kept alone in his own field well away from any other mares.

I was wondering what you all thought about his bloodlines. I havent seen that many big names in a pedigree before! I am going to talk to her about having his foundation percentage checked more accurately by the AQHA/FQHA and double registering him. AND to possible breed him to save the bloodline. I told her, that she should breed him with ONLY another QH and no mutts if she chooses to do so.

What I'm wanting to know is should she NOT geld him? I wanted to be sure she isnt cutting off a great bloodline BEFORE passing it along to another breeder who can keep it going.

*On a side note: I am AGAINST breeding to the extent of breeding mutts to mutts and so forth. I DO however support breeding in order to keep the good bloodlines of a breed though. I think he MAY be one of those that should be bred. I dont know anything about the rarity of these lines, so that's all I'm asking. Is his worth saving? If so I may try to talk her into at least freezing the sperm before castration.... Depending on his behavior around a mare in season it may happen sooner than later....

Wheatermay 05-26-2013 03:50 AM

So long story short.... LOL, sorry... I ramble...

What I am basically asking is: How good are his bloodlines, and if he is DEFINATELY foundation, if a FQHA breeder would be interested using his semen to expand their bloodlines. I think that if that is so, then she should do it, in order to help the lines. I make no sense sometimes, I know. I think too much, haha! Does that make sense to anyone? I have ALREADY talked her out of breeding him to just anything! And she was going to geld him in fall, and I'm sure she still is. Just wanting to know if we should message any reputable FQHA breeders and let them know of his bloodlines and see if they are interested in adding his to their bloodline before it's "nipped in the bud" lol...

dbarabians 05-26-2013 03:52 AM

A good horse with correct conformation, a willing trainable attitude, and good pedigree are always candidates for breeding IMO.
My first question would be IS he sound and conformationally correct?
If the owner is looking for a foundation bred QH stallion, which it appears she is not, then maybe he should be kept intact.
Next I would want to see any offspring and if they to were correct and trainable.
A 14 YO stallion should have some foals somewhere doing something if just riding down a trail or being used in the PRCA events.
There are lots of foundation bred stallions with records and offspring being used in the arena for different events.
Standing a stallion is work and everyone is not willing to make the sacrifices necessary to house and maintain a breeding stallion.
He belongs to your friend and its her decision alone to decide to geld him or not.
She may want to have him collected this summer in case she wants to use the semen or offer it to breeders in the future. Shalom

Wheatermay 05-26-2013 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbarabians (Post 2618561)
He belongs to your friend and its her decision alone to decide to geld him or not.
She may want to have him collected this summer in case she wants to use the semen or offer it to breeders in the future. Shalom

Yes, I agree. I'm asking this for her kind of. She's new to the horse world, and I think it would be to overwhelming to go straight into breeding especially how bad the horse market is to begin with. So I agree that collecting it is a good idea. Thanks for your help. And he is built, VERY nice! I have no clue of any offspring he has or what they look like, so we'd have to find them. She just had him delivered Saturday. So IMO, and if I were in her shoes I would NOT want to bother with the hassle and money that comes with breeding, BUT I think it would be a good idea to contact a good breeder that does. Ok. I think the two of us on on the same page! :) LOL. Making sure I'm not going to give bad advice.

Cherie 05-26-2013 08:35 AM

We've gelded a lot of good studs. It takes a good stud to make a good gelding.

As for breeding, the only horse on his papers of note is Tardy Too and he is pretty dated. All other good horses like Major King and Royal King are well off of his papers.

It strictly goes to 'need'. If a person needs a good gelding to ride, then, by all means, geld him.

If a person has a few really good mares and has a market and/or need for the offspring, then, leave him a stud. If not, he should be gelded now instead of later.

On a side note, studs that are this quiet and well-mannered has probably been run with geldings and/or pasture bred instead of hand bred.

kassierae 05-26-2013 08:56 AM

I don't see the point in keeping him a stallion if a re-rider intends to use him as her personal mount. Add that to the fact that there is nothing of note actually on his papers and the fact that almost ever quarter horse, paint and some appaloosas have many of the lines you mentioned. They are nothing special, pretty much just a 'wow, that's cool!' Factor. My appaloosa gelding has all of those along with Man o' War and several other TB and appaloosa greats way back. Big deal, if ever horse that had this lines were kept a stud there would be no geldings!
Posted via Mobile Device

nrhareiner 05-26-2013 09:59 AM

There is nothing in that padigree that screams keep me a stallion. What is there is just OK and what is great is so fare back that it plays little to no role in what you will get or have.

My trainer has gelded colts who are well proven with much better pedigrees then that. I have a colt here who is very very much foundation bred with a very very proven sire and just as proven dam much better pedigree and I am considering gelding him. Geld him enjoy him.

equiniphile 05-26-2013 01:16 PM

Be aware that he is most likely well-mannered now because he's being handled by trained experts. When he's in the hands of a beginner, he may begin to test the boundaries, and he may turn into a completely different horse.

Urge her to geld him. You don't want her first experience with horses since her childhood to r a bad one.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wheatermay 05-27-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 2618961)
We've gelded a lot of good studs. It takes a good stud to make a good gelding.

Thanks everyone! Cherie that is a good line there! I might use that! lol Thanks fro the info on his lines. I wasnt for sure if they were special or not. So now that I know they arent I dont feel so bad advising her into gelding, lol... But yea, I think he'd make a great gelding and a very nice mount. I fell in love with him too, lol... Thanks for taking a look at his pedigree everyone! I appreciate your time! :D