The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Is my horse to fat? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/my-horse-fat-20035/)

Painteddreamfarm 01-01-2009 01:21 PM

Is my horse to fat?

8 Attachment(s)
THe is my mare she is 15.2. She has always been a "Hard" keeper when i was at a boarding facility and always had to pay more and she was still skinny! But as soon as I brought her home it was easy to feed her. She is registered AQHA/APHA. She is thoroughbred. She is dewormed a lot, worked a lot, and has tons of muscle so Im not sure if she is just buff or to fat? Opinion!!!

Cat 01-01-2009 01:27 PM

She doesn't look too fat too me - especially for winter time. I like mine to have a bit of an extra layer in the winter to combat the cold and then trim them back down come spring and warmer weather.

belgianlover 01-01-2009 01:31 PM

i agree to me she looks good. If you were to see my mare now she is fat. But i think its a good thing in the winter. by the way she is beautifull

Painteddreamfarm 01-01-2009 01:33 PM

Well thank you! She is very pretty. in the summer she is so dark that she is blue..lol. But im so used to her being a thinner looking horse that im just amazed :-)

BeauReba 01-01-2009 01:53 PM

I think she's a tad over the ideal weight but not unhealthy. A lot of horses are heavier in the winter to keep warmer.

Joshie 01-01-2009 01:54 PM

A thoroughbred is a breed of horse. Do you mean she's a registered APHA and/or QH?

Her weight, for a QH, looks good, especially for winter. We purposely added some pounds to our Joshua before winter.

Dumas'_Grrrl 01-01-2009 03:13 PM

I too think she looks good for winter. I'd like to see her slicked out and more lean muscle, come spring /early summer.

I wasn't real clear on her breeding either. Assuming she's a QH, I'd say she looks in good winter condition. Maybe drop 50# or so come summer. I think a lot of good owners tend to keep their horses on the tubby side. ( I'm one of them so don't think I'm pickin' on ya! :wink: )

claireauriga 01-01-2009 03:20 PM

Google's turned up many handy resources for the Henneke body score - try scoring your horse to see how they turn out :)

My2Geldings 01-01-2009 03:36 PM

As everyone else has already said I also think she looks good. Has a little extra chub but the horses can really use it during the winter. Looking at the before pics, your little lady looks great :D

booner 01-01-2009 03:39 PM

she looks good to me, I bet when she sheds out in the spring she looks just fine.