The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   What to do with all the manure? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/what-do-all-manure-20044/)

knaskedov 01-01-2009 03:58 PM

What to do with all the manure?

At our barn we ride our manure into the arena and spread it out. Most boarders agree there has got to be a better way, we just haven't been able to convince the barn owner yet.
The biggest problems come from people not spreading out their piles properly which causes uneven patches and you can tell when you hit one while riding. The second problem somes when it rains, it turns into one big stinky, slippery mess.
About twice a year the arena gets scraped clean after which it is better for a while and then it's back to the same.
Has anyone come up with the perfect solution at their barn?

BeauReba 01-01-2009 04:00 PM

Horse-Canada.com | Your Horse Source | Archives Recycled Bedding :D

appylover31803 01-01-2009 04:01 PM

My BO spreads the manure on her property.

I wouldn't like it being in the arena.

Vidaloco 01-01-2009 04:08 PM

I don't board my horses, but I do have 4 that I keep on a 2 acre dry lot all winter. I put about 80 tons of limestone screenings down a few years ago. It settles in sort of like a hard pan dirt that drains well and keeps the mud down.
Because of this I scrape the lot every week. I have a 4 wheeler with a front blade I use to scrape it. Then I pick up the piles of poo with a front-end loader on my tractor.
I keep a poo pile separate from the old hay pile. I didn't last year and it ended up having too much grass/hay seed in it. So far I have been able to use all the composted manure either on my garden, pasture (I have a manure spreader) or given it away to other family/friend gardeners.
I figure if I ever have some left overs I would run an ad on craigslist or just put a sign out front for anyone wanting free manure. Gardeners love the stuff so if your barn owner has the space I highly recommend starting a poo pile and either selling it or giving it away.

I want to add, my garden is about 99% composted horse poo. I always have a bumper crop of veggies.

StormyBlues 01-03-2009 10:26 PM

Why in the world does she spread it in the arena?:shock: Why not in the paddocks or feilds? it is acctaully useful there. we spread on our property, and i woiuld never ride in an arena like that.

Vidaloco 01-05-2009 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StormyBlues (Post 221317)
Why in the world does she spread it in the arena?:shock: Why not in the paddocks or feilds? it is acctaully useful there. we spread on our property, and i woiuld never ride in an arena like that.

I've seen people do this with a sand/poo mix in round pens and arenas. IMO when the poo to sand ratio gets to the more poo than sand side, its gets slick.
Most of the folks who do this have the equipment to either rake or till soon after a rain so it drys fast. If you don't its a mess.

Ryle 01-05-2009 01:46 PM

Composting is the best option for any sort of facility where multiple horses are kept. Putting fresh or improperly composted manure on paddocks/pastures increases the parasite load on those areas. Composting manure prior to spreading helps cut down on the number of infective parasite larva in the manure. Composted manure can also be given to gardening centers or local gardeners for use.

If fresh manure is put on a pasture or pastures are harrowed, horses need to be off of them for several months in moderate weather and at least a month in really hot/dry weather in order to allow the infective larva to die off so that you aren't just reinfecting your horses.

Here is a good article on the options:

https://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=641

StormyBlues 01-05-2009 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryle (Post 222294)
Composting is the best option for any sort of facility where multiple horses are kept. Putting fresh or improperly composted manure on paddocks/pastures increases the parasite load on those areas. Composting manure prior to spreading helps cut down on the number of infective parasite larva in the manure. Composted manure can also be given to gardening centers or local gardeners for use.

If fresh manure is put on a pasture or pastures are harrowed, horses need to be off of them for several months in moderate weather and at least a month in really hot/dry weather in order to allow the infective larva to die off so that you aren't just reinfecting your horses.

Here is a good article on the options:

https://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=641

But if you spread the fresh manure on the land in the morning and it sits in the sun all day, the parisites die. That is why they made menure spreaders.:D

Ryle 01-05-2009 11:05 PM

Incorrect, it takes months for the parasites larva to die off even in the sunshine.

""The general rule is that six months is enough for sunlight, temperature, and surface microbial activity to deactivate most of the pathogens to the point that it's safe for most horses," says professor Halbach. "--from the linked article above.

knaskedov 01-05-2009 11:31 PM

Thank you all so much, this is what we were hoping for. We need this information to convince the barn owner to start a compost heap.
She does drag the arena after it rains, but still, it would be so much nicer if we can keep the poo out of our exersize area. Since we are in Southern Arizona, there is no grass, so no pastures, the arena is used for turn out and riding, but there is plenty of room on the property for a compost pile. After the rain from the last couple of days it may not be so hard to convince her.... (stinky slippery mess is back!)