The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Question for anyone who has mares and foals. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/question-anyone-who-has-mares-foals-200521/)

BarnDoogle 05-26-2013 02:48 PM

Question for anyone who has mares and foals.

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, So I have standardbred racehorses, and three broodmares a few years ago I bred all three of them, and the pregnancies went really well. The three of them were no more than 5 feet apart for their whole pregnancies, and two were born perfectly healthy, but one had something weird going on, I called my vet, who is also a horse breeder, and he said out of his 30 mares, 10 of them had the same thing, and he said he never seen this disease before. So last year, I bred two of my mares that had the healthy foals, and one of them had a foal with the same weird disease. Both of them lived no longer than 5 days, they are not in pain, but they just get weak and fall asleep.

So I guess my question is, has anyone had this same problem with their foals?? :?

NOTE: If you are going to criticize the way I raise babies, just remember that its not just my foals that are passing, the whole point of this question is to see if anyone knows more than I already do.

greentree 05-26-2013 03:09 PM

Is there a NAME for this disease? No way would I criticize you about the way you raise colts!

Nancy

Golden Horse 05-26-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greentree (Post 2620689)
Is there a NAME for this disease? No way would I criticize you about the way you raise colts!

Nancy

You may of you read this post from another thread by this poster

Quote:

I tubed mineral oil, gave him banamine, called like 6 different vets out, and by the time a vet came out, he unfortunately already passed away... Thanks for all of your help... I have never used this site before, but so far I have lost 3 foals, one broodmare, and a saddle horse due to disease, prolapsing or colic, and I didn't want this horse to pass on too, but I guess he wasn't meant to be on this earth.... Thanks for your help again...
Op what you are describing sounds like Dummy Foal syndrome.

Glynnis 05-26-2013 04:04 PM

I found an article on dummy foal syndrome. The official name for it is Equine Neonatal Maladjustment Syndrome. The rest of the article can be found here.

Dummy foal syndrome is not a disease but, rather, a broad term that applies to foals that exhibit abnormal, often vague behaviors and/or neurologic signs during their first few days of life. These signs include sleepiness, ataxia, weakness, circling, disinterest in the mare or in nursing, loss of suckle reflex, chewing or licking stall walls, abnormal vocalization, hypersensitivity to the touch, depression, or seizures. Other names used to describe this syndrome are neonatal maladjustment syndrome, hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy, peripartum asphyxia syndrome, wanderer foal, or barker foal (for foals having abnormal vocalizations).

Causes

Although commonly associated with an adverse periparturient (around the time of birth) event, dummy foal syndrome also occurs in foals that haven't had an obvious periparturient problem. "Thus, dummy foal syndrome could result from some type of unrecognized in utero hypoxia (inadequate oxygen supply)," says Bonnie Barr, VMD, Dipl. ACVIM, an internist at Rood & Riddle Equine Hospital in Lexington, Ky.

DeliciousD 05-26-2013 05:00 PM

I would suggest dummy foal, but it is not a disease but merely a lack of oxygen to the brain cause brain damage, some foals survive, others do not.

What are there IgB levels? Do you see the suckling or attempting to suckle?

BarnDoogle 05-26-2013 06:04 PM

There is no attempting to suck, get up, or even get out of the sack by themselves. the colt in the picture was the fist one with whatever was wrong with them, but the second colt looked like he had more will to survive, and suck. He got out of the sack himself, but again, in five days, he passed away. There was also another colt who had the same thing, but after giving birth, the mare prolapsed and passed away also.

To greentree (Nancy) thanks for your comment. :) I appreciate it. it is such a heartache, and I don't need any rude comments.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 05-26-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarnDoogle (Post 2621721)
There is no attempting to suck, get up, or even get out of the sack by themselves. the colt in the picture was the fist one with whatever was wrong with them, but the second colt looked like he had more will to survive, and suck. He got out of the sack himself, but again, in five days, he passed away. There was also another colt who had the same thing, but after giving birth, the mare prolapsed and passed away also.

To greentree (Nancy) thanks for your comment. :) I appreciate it. it is such a heartache, and I don't need any rude comments.

Where are you? It sounds like more than just Dummy Foal Syndrome to me. I wonder about Fescue Toxicity? Is that an issue where you are?

BarnDoogle 05-26-2013 07:20 PM

I live in Calgary AB, and that's what I thought it was too, but if it is, then why did two mares have perfectly healthy foals, and one mare not have a healthy one? :? and there are no other older horses that have been affected by this issue.

MsBHavin 05-26-2013 07:24 PM

So with the three foals that have died, has the vet had hands on contact with them, or are you just getting his opinion over the phone? What where the foals IgG levels? What was done to help them survive for 5 days?

BarnDoogle 05-26-2013 11:12 PM

The vet said their IgG levels were normal, and yes, he always does hands on work. Also, as I said earlier, he has babies with the same problem, so he wants to find the problem too. No one knows why they stay alive for five days, they just do, no one has to do anything to keep them alive, and as soon as we saw the condition they were in, we milked the mare to get the colostrum, and bottle fed the foal.

Also, the vet had a theory, that the muscle didn't adhere to the bone, but he said he was totally in the dark on this one.