The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   concrete mishap (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/concrete-mishap-20055/)

Rebelappy 01-01-2009 09:26 PM

concrete mishap

ok my horse has become a royal pain in the butt when it comes to standing tied on concrete . hes never had anything bad happen to him but he hates it . where we was our horses has concrete and he absoultly refuses to even cross over it without a fight. then last week he got even dumber and laid down on the concrete when i put his support boots on him.. now he just sits and snorts and weaves back and forth and sits back on his rope and being a but in genral.. if i tie him where its a dirt footing then hes fine
im dumbfounded at the behavior. find it very strange that he just seems to hate concrete
Any idea why this behavior may have started he did this before he laid down on it .. hes been tied on concrete his whole life hes now 8 i dont get it

NorthernMama 01-03-2009 08:18 PM

Sounds like foot trouble to me. Especially the part about sitting back on his rope.

Rebelappy 01-03-2009 10:27 PM

his feet are fine in good shape he just acts like the concrete is going to eat him and then gets really stupid

danastark 01-03-2009 10:53 PM

Sounds like something happened to make him fearful. Maybe you tied him up and stepped away for a minute and he went down or something that changed his view of the concrete. I'd start desensitizing him by making it a pleasant experience, maybe having him stand next to the concrete while getting little bits of carrot, then start putting the carrots on the concrete and moving them back, feeding him hay, etc. Goodluck!

Rebelappy 01-03-2009 11:02 PM

thanks i never thought about that going to have t

Rebelappy 01-03-2009 11:03 PM

going to have to try that cause its agrivating right now. i dont want him to hurt himself so we do alot of dancing around

Appyt 01-03-2009 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebelappy (Post 221318)
his feet are fine in good shape he just acts like the concrete is going to eat him and then gets really stupid

Your horse is an appy right? Hmmmm. My Appy, Cheno did a similar thing years ago crossing a parking lot. It was blacktop, but he just acted like it was something he couldn't judge the depth of. That's the only way I can describe it. He would go down a street just fine, but get him out on a parking lot and he just got stupid. Btw, he has ERU and that may have had something to do with his reaction.. It was several years before he was diagnosed so I can't really be sure of that.

Rebelappy 01-04-2009 03:08 PM

hmmm ill have to look in to that he just started but things can just sneek up them too health wise

shmurmer4 01-04-2009 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appyt (Post 221350)
Your horse is an appy right? Hmmmm. My Appy, Cheno did a similar thing years ago crossing a parking lot. It was blacktop, but he just acted like it was something he couldn't judge the depth of. That's the only way I can describe it. He would go down a street just fine, but get him out on a parking lot and he just got stupid. Btw, he has ERU and that may have had something to do with his reaction.. It was several years before he was diagnosed so I can't really be sure of that.

I've heard this happening many times when it comes to blacktop surfaces. The riders also have described it as the horse not being able to use their dept perception.

NorthernMama 01-04-2009 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebelappy (Post 221318)

But b4, he was fine, right? so something must have happened... take him over it bit by bit and little by little. Lead him up to it. Feed him with the food there and his feet not on. Lead him over it. Then feed him on it... might make him realize it's not going to jump up and bite him again. Seems odd that he would lay down on it. Never heard of that one.