The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Dog breeding questions. Specifically heelers (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/dog-breeding-questions-specifically-heelers-200665/)

Phly 05-26-2013 05:35 PM

Dog breeding questions. Specifically heelers

So I may breed my heeler, I know the owner. I know the bitch, and she's a very nice cow dog.

My question is, whats the usual agreement from the stud dogs side? I've heard $$ plus one pup. Is that common? And what's the usual fee?
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 05-26-2013 06:16 PM

It really depends on what you're wanting. Over the years, I've done both; a straight stud fee that was a bit higher or a stud fee that was a bit lower plus pick of the litter.

If I was looking to widen my gene pool a little, I'd likely go for a deal that included pick of the litter, but if I didn't want any more pups/dogs, I'd just go with a straight stud fee.

Granted, it's been about 15 years since I studded out any of my dogs, but I seem to remember that I was getting about $500 at the time for papered, quality border collies.

CLaPorte432 05-26-2013 06:49 PM

Around here, it was the sire owner either gets the stud fee...say $300 cash, or...pick of the litter. i havent heard of both.
Posted via Mobile Device

cakemom 05-26-2013 06:50 PM

Are you interested in a puppy and do you feel like having to sell one if not? I charge the price of a male quality puppy.
Posted via Mobile Device

FlyGap 05-26-2013 07:23 PM

How much she's selling the pups for determines my price.
Quality champion bloodlines, shown, include papers and/or breeding "rights" for more? (Irks me but its what everyone is doing.)

If they are going to be $250 puppies, I'd only charge $150/$200 plus a pup. If we are talking about $500 and up, or more for breeding stock, up goes the price.
Posted via Mobile Device

Phly 05-26-2013 08:46 PM

I really don't want a pup right now. I kinda figured the going rate of a pup as stud fee. Which ranges usually 250/300 here.

The thing is, the two dogs in question are both from out west, not the lil headed current Inbreds that are currently the local stock. So (hopefully) they'll be real nice. And the bitches owner will have them around cows, which I'm sure will help the pups know their job.

So here, they will top line stock.

My thought was 300. It'll be his first breeding, so just hoping for the best.
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 05-26-2013 10:34 PM

That sounds reasonable to me.