The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Pulling a horse in a stock trailer (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/pulling-horse-stock-trailer-200737/)

Jalter 05-26-2013 07:48 PM

Pulling a horse in a stock trailer

I was looking at the requirements of adopting blm mustangs. It mentions the horse must be picked up in a stock trailer. I was wondering if this is because they are more comfortable, less scary to a green loader, or what?

What are the pros and cons of hauling a horse or multiple horses in a stock trailer? The way I see it, it seems safer. If the horse looses balance, he has space to pick himself back up, vs. hanging himself in a typical horse trailer. Please, correct me if I am wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device

Stan 05-26-2013 07:53 PM

Sounds like it is what they are used to. However I would make sure the horse/s could not get over the top rail if the trailer did not have some form of roof. Ive seen horses in an open top stock trailer but they were trained for it.

Jalter 05-26-2013 08:00 PM

Would anyone reccomend using one though? Why or why not? Imagine it is a closed top (like the ones you see on Animal Cops Houston on Animal Planet). Could the same trailer that holds four horses comfortably hole one? Would they have to be tied up, or are they allowed to be free inside of the trailer?
Posted via Mobile Device

Left Hand Percherons 05-26-2013 08:13 PM

You need a stock trailer because they will herd him into the trailer. You are not going to load him in a normal trailer. It will be less claustrophobic for him, less scarey, less things for him to get hurt on... They would never allow a horse in an open top trailer. He will jump out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 05-26-2013 08:27 PM

Jalter, You're scaring me with your lack of knowledge about mustangs. Mustangs are a whole different ballgame that a horse that is wild. Have you been told to have a min. of 6' high heavy plank fencing as you'd be amazed at what these horses have been known to scale. If panicked, they will inadvertently commit suicide to escape what they are afraid of.

Jalter 05-26-2013 08:30 PM

I never claimed to be a mustang expert and I am aware of that much at least. I'm asking more about the stock trailer than the mustangs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Stan 05-26-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalter (Post 2623097)
I never claimed to be a mustang expert and I am aware of that much at least. I'm asking more about the stock trailer than the mustangs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jalter Here in NZ i have seen horses arrive at a trek in an open top stock trailer but the top rail was just under their chin when standing tall. As for the mustang, a wild horse is a wild horse and will do what is required to survive, including its own death. No thought pattern when in a panic, a bit like us.

If the trailer is 20 feet long and 7 feet wide i would take away some of the space by dividers. To much leaverage equals escape or injury. The other side is why not spend time training it and gentleing the horse first. As for a closed trailer, all horses had to have there first experience. You have to make that a good experience.

Teach the horse that the trailer is its safe place so it is in its comfort zone and it will be where it wants to be.

Good luck with it.