The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Longeing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/longeing-20092/)

Hoofprints in the Sand 01-04-2009 10:50 AM

Longeing

I've been working with Sandie a lot on the longe line lately, but she's doing this new thing now where she cuts part of the circle off...on one side of the circle, she moves out and pulls a little bit even, and on the other side she cuts in and I actually have to hurry to pick up the slack on the line so that she won't trip on it!

How do I get her to move out on one half of the circle and to not pull on the other half, so that we have a nice circle and not an oval??

My2Geldings 01-04-2009 10:53 AM

Funny because I just finished posting about lunging just moments ago.Here is a good link that should answer your question and more.
Lorien Stable - The How and Why of Basic Lunging

Hoofprints in the Sand 01-04-2009 10:59 AM

Thanks! The article suggests to point my "longe line arm" towards her shoulder to make her move out...I'll try it out today and see if it works!

My2Geldings 01-04-2009 11:09 AM

No problem :)

Spyder 01-04-2009 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoofprints in the Sand (Post 221543)
Thanks! The article suggests to point my "longe line arm" towards her shoulder to make her move out...I'll try it out today and see if it works!

A lunge whip is the extension of your arm and sometimes just pointing your arm may not work so use a lunge whip. I would also extend the whip/arm just before you know the horse is going to fall in not after it has started.

mlkarel2010 01-05-2009 05:22 PM

body language works too. If you bend over a little and lean in towards her she'll read you and move out most of the time, but a lot of the time, especially when she's still learning, you'll need more encouragement from a lounge whip

NewHeart 01-13-2009 01:52 AM

First off, cut your slack on your line down. Generally speaking, when a horse goes to cut the pattern short, they do it in the same spot. When you are lunging her out, you should be able to anticipate where and when she will do it. Stop her ahead of time by making her move out with the lunge whip. It's all about timing and watching her behavior.

free_sprtd 01-13-2009 01:56 AM

i do that with thunder and use the command "away" or "out" and point or flick my lunge whip gently towards his shoulder and he moves out. sometimes all i have to say is away.