The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Money-Making Ideas? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/money-making-ideas-20095/)

anrz 01-04-2009 12:33 PM

Money-Making Ideas?

I have been hoping to buy a horse. My problem is, though, that I have $12.00, total. I am 12 years old, so there aren't many jobs open for twelve-year-olds. I was thinking about starting a braiding business to make money, but I am wondering : "Who would hire a 12-year-old?". Does anyone have any ideas for me? And yes, I do know about all of the responsibilities. I have talked to lots of people (my friends own horses and have told me but I have also talked to adults) about that and although I am obviously not going to buy a horse for a while, I was wondering about some money-making ideas for a 12-year-old. Also, I would appreciate it if horse-owners could say how much they pay yearly (not including the horse cost or the board). I noticed that another person posted something LIKE this, although not exactly, but no one had many ideas for jobs. Also, I need to make all the money myself- my parents don't really want me to have a horse since they don't want to drive me around and because they are already paying for my sister's skating (she's at the level now where skates cost $1,000). They have said numerous times that they won't help me at all... so I'm kind of on my own with the money part. Anyway, any ideas? Sorry this was so long :oops:.

shmurmer4 01-04-2009 03:34 PM

haul hay during that season.

make a decent amount of money pretty quick...

whitetrashwarmblood 01-04-2009 08:24 PM

When I was 12 I started to volunteer at the stable I work at now. I didn't make money right away, but I learned so much about horses that it was worth it. After about a year, I was getting payed minimum wage. Eventually, I got raises thorough out the years. The plus side to working at a stable is that you may be able to ride/exercise horses for free. You also may be able to get free or reduced board, so when you do get a horse it'll be a little easier on your wallet in the long run. You might be able to get good deals on horses for sale, since you work there/they know you.
There's a boy at my stable right now that's 12 and getting payed $20 every 8 hours. Our barn owner doesn't mind having preteens/teenagers working there because they've made the best/most loyal workers for her.
Also, if you start working/volunteering at a stable you might be able to go to auctions where horses are going for $50-$75, so buying the horse might not even be the most expensive thing if that's the case.
For what I pay yearly...

For Athena:
teeth floated once a year - average $100
shoes every 6 weeks - $95
wormer every other month - average $10
spring shots - $85
I pay board on Athena, so I don't have a price on grain, hay, or shavings for her.

For Snafu:
teeth - Average $100
trim every six wks - $30
wormer - average $10
shots - $85
joint supplements - $40 every month
hay - $60 every month or so
grain - $10 every other month (he barely gets any)
shavings - $5 for two large garbage bags every other week or so

Every horse is different, and depending where you live, prices may vary. Some horses go barefoot, but you might find one that needs special shoes which cost even more then regular ones.
I used to only pay $15 for a trim, and $30 for shoes all around. Now it's $30/trim and $95/shoes all around.
If you buy an older horse you may have to pay more for special feed or supplements, too.
I also already own all the tack I need for them, so you may have to spend more if you still need to get saddles, brushes, etc.

The biggest problem for you right now would be driving. Someone would have to drive you back and fourth if you did find a job.
If I were you, I would try and find a stable that would be willing to let me volunteer. Most stables, at least the stables around here, won't hire just anybody with horse experience, you'd have an advantage because you'd know what they like/how they do things etc.
This is just what I did when I was your age, but I'm sure you could find some sort of odd job that can make you some moo-la if you're not sure about working at a stable. :D

Joshie 01-04-2009 08:43 PM

I think that you might be better off making friends with a local horse trainer. Is there a barn that will let you ride horses? Are you taking riding lessons? It doesn't sound like you're in a position right now to have a horse. The initial cost is the least of your worries. Boarding, tack, lessons, and vet care are so much more expensive. It wouldn't be good to get a horse, fall in love, and then have to give it up because you are going away to college. I know that seems like a lifetime away but you'll blink your eyes and you'll be all grown up.

My daughter and I take lessons together. She's almost your age. Do you think your mom would be interested in taking lessons with you? Getting your mom involved may help you with your case. Do you know anyone who will let you free lease a horse? How far are you from a stable?

iridehorses 01-05-2009 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmurmer4 (Post 221631)
haul hay during that season.

make a decent amount of money pretty quick...

You did get that she is 12 years old - right? LOL

That was a good budget analysis by WTW

Joshie has some good advise and the same that I would give - got to love parents on the forum!

horsegirl123 01-07-2009 05:35 PM

Hi anrz, I am also twelve and REALLY want a horse so I know how you feel. Anyways, maybe you could try babysitting? Also, if you ride at a barn already, sometimes the barns have a thing where you could help feed the horses etc. and they take money off your board. Hope I helped!

horsegirl123 01-07-2009 05:41 PM

After my post, I read whitetrashwarmblood's reply and I think that that was good advice-work at a barn! I sometimes work at my barn on Sunday's and I always (well, not always) get to ride the horses/ponies if I work for several hours. Keep in mind, you will get dirty, and it is hard work, but it is DEFINATELY worth it!!!

QtrHorse 01-08-2009 02:59 AM

I earned enough money babysitting to buy my first pony when I was your age (around 40 years ago...ouch). If you go through the Red Cross program and do a good job you will have a client waiting list. I don't know what the pay is for babysitters is right now there but if it compares to here it is worth it. One advantage that babysitting has for you is that it shouldn't interfere with your school work (your most important focus right now). Always ask if the parents will let you do it while the kids are napping or asleep.
Finding someone who has a horse and will let you groom and help out in exchange for riding priviledges will help you satisfy your "horse fever". A 12 year old will need full assistance, cooperation and support from her parents to deal with the responsibilities of a horse.
Good luck.

shmurmer4 01-08-2009 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iridehorses (Post 222128)
You did get that she is 12 years old - right? LOL

That was a good budget analysis by WTW

Joshie has some good advise and the same that I would give - got to love parents on the forum!

If she is weak she can drive the truck... I was doing it at a younger age.

Joshie 01-08-2009 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmurmer4 (Post 225403)
If she is weak she can drive the truck... I was doing it at a younger age.

Where can you drive a truck at age 12? I don't think you can legally work at age 12. Some states don't even allow 12 year old children to be left in house alone, let alone babysit. Times are different now. Many things we could do are no longer available to kids today.