The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Riding Confidence Issues? (Novice Rider) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/riding-confidence-issues-novice-rider-201089/)

JulyCharm 05-27-2013 11:31 AM

Riding Confidence Issues? (Novice Rider)

Hi!

Recently I had an accident on a spooky 13 year old gelding. I was an EXTREMELY novice rider when the accident happened,I had just learned how to trot. I take part of the blame for the accident though.
Anyways recently I took up riding again at a new barn
, where the horses are mostly push-botton and easy to work with. My instructor decided to move me up to a 15'3 7 year old Paint Gelding who can be a piece of work. He has a lot of issues on the ground but in saddle he's a dream. Anyways
He reminded me a lot of the gelding I had the accident on,even though he was a very sweet horse and practically bombproof. I have moved on very well since I started at this barn but yesterday I couldn't even do basic groundwork. Haha I was having even difficultly trotting. I was so scared. I was shaking and stuttering and I thought I might have a panic attack. My instructor understood and asked if next lesson I wanted to move back to the push-botton mare I used to ride. I want the challenge but I'm not sure.

Do any of you have novice horse stories like mine? I would love to hear them. Thank you. :-)

(And I apologize if I'm doing something wrong; I'm novice to the Horse Forum as well! :oops:)

Cacowgirl 05-27-2013 01:12 PM

Hi & Welcome. We ride horses for fun & relaxation, so if your instructor isn't on board w/that, let him/her know that right now you want to build your confidence back~challenges can come later, if you so wish.

JulyCharm 05-27-2013 07:21 PM

Hi! Thank you so much for the advice! :)
Tomorrow I'll text her. I'm sure my instructor will understand. Thank you ! :)

Saskia 05-27-2013 07:44 PM

At riding schools you shouldn't be battling with your fear and trying to learn. Choose a horse you can learn on, then look at moving up. Challenges should be new and sometimes difficult, and you might be nervous, but you shouldn't be afraid.

Coloureds4Mimi 05-28-2013 06:34 PM

I have been riding for years, stopped for a few years to have my daughter and now I am back in the saddle again I am no way near as brave as I was! I totally agree with Saskia, you need a horse you feel safe on to learn and be able to have a go at using your aids without being scared of falling off.

If I were you I would definitely go back to the mare until I was confident with walk, trot and canter and find you're starting to get bored and would like more of a challenge!

Don't let what happened put you off, the feeling riding gives you is totally different to anything else :) keep us posted with what you do :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Skyseternalangel 05-29-2013 01:37 AM

Go back to the push button horse. You aren't ready for that big of a challenge yet! Breathe :) You'll get there eventually

Samuel 05-30-2013 11:40 AM

Hi, if you're genuinely scared go back to the mare, before I bought Arthur off my friend I fell off him, it was the first and only time I've had a fall and getting back on him was the most scary thing I have ever done, I walked about 2 yards then had to get off but then after a while of riding my lesson pony I felt confident enough to get back on my boy (Arthur's 17.2 my lesson pony was 14.1 haha)

wild old thing 06-02-2013 02:18 PM

What do you want to do?

Nerves can come into this or any other sport after a fall. I just came back after a doozy myself, so I know - sometimes you have to swallow some fear in order to ride - even a pushbutton horse.

I'm not even going to address the instructor - this isn't about her or her expectations. This is about you and your comfort zone and/or your desire to grow.

What you do depends entirely on what you WANT to do, where you want to go right now.

So now that you've seen you have a bit of some fear issues, do you want to deal with that? Did you have a good ride in spite of nerves? Do you think you are up to different horses right now?

I think when YOU decide how you want to procede then you call your instructor and tell them - this is what I'm comfortable doing right now. And it could be that you want to try to work with your fear. Or it could be that you want to build your confidence further.

liv885 06-03-2013 06:50 AM

If I was you, I would switch back to the mare. Gain more confidence with groundwork, walk and trot before you get on the gelding. Try to get some lessons on the lunge to improve your balance in the saddle. Also this will make you feel secure in your seat so if there is another spook you are less likely to come off.
I took years to get the courage to canter and I still get nervous on new horses when going into canter. But it did take one very fantastic pony to get me over my fear and to show me how much fun cantering is!

JulyCharm 06-03-2013 10:41 PM

Thank you all for your help! Things worked out quite nicely if I do say so, I went back to the mare for the past few lessons and things are going very well! I've been able to move up and find my confidence again. I've been really enjoying riding again! Yesterday my instructor moved me back to the Paint Gelding and with my newfound confidence I was able to move forward without fear. I am so thankful I went back to the mare and regained some of my previous strength and I wasn't as afraid as I was before. (In fact I really wasn't afraid at all!(: ) I'm very glad how it all worked out and I'd like to thank all of you for such a warm welcome to me. Thank you! :)
-Shannon