The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Hitting jump with Back Legs?!? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/hitting-jump-back-legs-20115/)

Janasse 01-04-2009 05:57 PM

Hitting jump with Back Legs?!?

Ok so I've been jumping my horse for about 5 months now and she's been doing awesome. The only thing is is that when we jump she has a tendency to drop her back feet on the poles and knocks them down. Any suggestions on how to fix this? It's not all the time, but anytime she hits the jump it's always with her back legs....

Winter Filly 01-04-2009 06:10 PM

You might be sitting down too early. When you sit back down, it tells the horse that they've made it over and to drop down their back legs so if you sit down to early then she'll drop her legs early and have the rail.

PoptartShop 01-04-2009 07:37 PM

^Very true, I was just about to say that. :) Make sure you wait for your horse to jump, & don't go into 2-pt early. That can throw them off balance, & if the horse refuses you'd go right off.

Janasse 01-04-2009 07:49 PM

Thanks I'll keep that in mind. I'm usually the only person at the stable when I ride which makes it hard to see things like that. I'll try to find someone to watch me and tell me if I sit too early.

Pinto Pony 01-04-2009 07:53 PM

Maybe set some grids up with oxers in the mix to make her open up and hopefully become more aware of where her legs are. Also if she is being lazy and if you are using boots on her back legs when jumping maybe take them off for a couple rides and maybe she might learn after a couple of knocks that being lazy isn't fun.

BeauReba 01-04-2009 11:47 PM

If there's no one around you can set your camera up on a fence post and focus on where you'll be jumping. Then you let it run while you go over it a few times and then go back and turn it off! :D

Equuestriaan 01-05-2009 07:40 AM

I agree with what the others have said... try holding your 2-point for just a few seconds longer than you normally do, and see if that makes any difference.

Picture Perfect 01-05-2009 10:05 PM

I agree with what everyone else said. Good Luck! :D

Janasse 01-05-2009 10:30 PM

Well I went and rode tonight. I set up just one oxer in the arena since they took all the jumps away and made sure to stay in my two-point longer and no poles were hit! This was her first time jumping an oxer so she was really cautious about it. By the end she did hit it once (no boots on her legs) and after that she was a little scared to jump it but when she finally did she cleared it by a mile. So I think problem solved!! Thanks everyone!!!