The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Equine Careers and Education (http://www.horseforum.com/equine-careers-education/)
-   -   Vet Help (http://www.horseforum.com/equine-careers-education/vet-help-201273/)

Horse racer 05-27-2013 04:01 PM

Vet Help

I want to rephrase my last thread.

So I've been really interested in becoming a vet. I really like medical science and have taken anatomy and physiology classes and found that I'm good a medical stuff. But I don't really want to work with humans, I'd much rather work with animals, specifically horses. I know how competitive vet school is but I pull good grades and am willing to work for it. But, what do I need to do so I can know what to expect and prepare myself to get accepted into vet school.

Here's the other question. I've heard that getting you full-blown doctorate as a vet isn't the route to go because the schooling is expensive and vets make as much money as some people with a lower degree in the field. My cousin has a pre vet med degree and she's the administrator for a large animal hospital and make more money that a vet with a doctorates and still has a lot of hands on work with animals. So, what should I do for a degree.

Here's the other thing: I really would like to work with large animals and be a large animal vet than a small animal vet. And I would love to be a vet for racehorses and work with racehorses down in Kentucky. The other thing I wanted to do is just get my pre vet med and then get certified as an equine physical therapist rehabilitating injured racehorses. I feel like I would really love that, but how competitive is it become a racehorse vet and how practical is that?

aforred 05-27-2013 04:46 PM

If you want to decide the course of medical treatment for an animal, you have to have a DVM. I would suggest getting a summer job at a vet clinic that does large animals and talk to them about the best course of action.
Posted via Mobile Device

Horse racer 05-27-2013 04:57 PM

I've thought about doing that, but I don't want to give up my job with a horse trainer I have training horses.

Becoming a equine physical therapist doesn't require a DVM, but it's probably a good idea to have one.

aforred 05-27-2013 04:59 PM

Body work and massage don't require DVM, but I'm not sure about chiro. Those are some other options that would give you hands on work with horses.

I thought about going to vet school, but even though you're treating the animals, there's still a lot of interaction and customer service with the owners/handlers. I didn't like that aspect of it.

Sharpie 05-27-2013 05:15 PM

Becoming a veterinarian isn't a good way to make a lot of money- school is too expensive and the loans take too long to pay back for it to be. That said, I can't imagine doing anything else. I could never imagine myself as a massage therapist or a vet tech, or any of those other also very skilled and intelligent people that I rely so heavily upon. So for me, it was the best, hardest thing I've ever done. I tell people that ask, "if there is any doubt in your mind about being a vet, don't do it. There are too many hard days to be happy if you have any doubts." Even when I was down to my last $2 and eating ramen for the third week while I was in school, I still knew I was doing what was right for me.

cakemom 05-27-2013 05:41 PM

Well said!! I have a daughter who wants to be a veterinarian and just completed a career project on it. I thought it might break her determination....nope- she's now on a tighter educational path and realizing its going to be work that's worthwhile.
Posted via Mobile Device