The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Technology (http://www.horseforum.com/technology/)
-   -   Laptop and Portable Printer Recommendations? (http://www.horseforum.com/technology/laptop-portable-printer-recommendations-201353/)

COWCHICK77 05-27-2013 06:40 PM

Laptop and Portable Printer Recommendations?

50 Attachment(s)
I have had a Dell Inspirion since 2007, I think that's pretty long for a laptop!(and it has not had a easy life) It died Thursday night, I will find out for sure sometime on Tuesday after the computer place digs into it. If it is going to cost too much to repair it I am just going to upgrade.
I use it for our business so I use it for Quickbooks Online, Google Docs, almost everything I do is on the internet. Other than business I use it for browsing, no FB or games.
Does anyone have any recommendations?

Also wanted to know if anyone has had success with portable printers?

Thanks for the help!

jinxremoving 05-27-2013 08:15 PM

The price of laptops and computers in general have come down so much since then, it's pretty much a pick one that looks pretty and hope it lasts kind of market now - especially where you are only doing light work on it. I have no specific suggestions but would highly recommend anything from HP or Lenovo with at least 6GB of RAM (Memory) ... they tend to be the better quality brands out there on the market. I would avoid anything by Acer, they tend to be at the bottom of quality and Consumer Reports thought so too.

... of course, if you have the money than an Apple PowerBook would be hands down the way to go! :)

COWCHICK77 05-29-2013 11:21 PM

50 Attachment(s)
My hard drive crashed and burned on my old Dell so today I went and picked up a HP Pavillion g7. It was on sale and it seemed to get good reviews for laptops in the "budget" price range. I panicked about getting behind on my work and only had a few hundred to spare, if I had the money I surely would of went with Apple!
The Windows 8 takes some getting used to after using Vista for the last few years but I like it. I also went with the 6GB like you suggested. Love the large 17.5" screen and the numeric keyboard on the side for my spreadsheets. Only my first day with it- so far so good.
Thanks again for the suggestions!

Chevaux 05-29-2013 11:26 PM

For what it's worth, I have the HP Pavilion laptop (and a HP desktop); used them for about three years now; both have been working very well for us.

COWCHICK77 05-29-2013 11:28 PM

50 Attachment(s)
That makes me feel better!

jinxremoving 05-30-2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COWCHICK77 (Post 2652585)
The Windows 8 takes some getting used to after using Vista for the last few years..

OMG I know! Windows 8 is... different, lol. If you want to go back to how Windows 7 looked, you can try this:

http://blog.laptopmag.com/make-windows-8-like-windows-7

There are also plenty of programs you can download that will do it too. :)

COWCHICK77 05-30-2013 12:39 AM

50 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinxremoving (Post 2653185)
OMG I know! Windows 8 is... different, lol. If you want to go back to how Windows 7 looked, you can try this:

How to Make Windows 8 Look and Feel Like Windows 7

There are also plenty of programs you can download that will do it too. :)

LOL! Thank you, that is a good thing to know!
I will try that if I can't get the hang of it or start to hate it.
I complained when Vista came out, I loved XP at the time but I learned to deal with Vista so I am going to suck it up and at least give it a chance before I get my poopy pants on.:D

My2Geldings 07-19-2013 05:02 PM

We have 2 different printers depending on what it is we need to print. I dont find it really matters what you use for printer, they all work almost the same. HP printers are absolutely horrible to install and set up, but work great if you live passed the set up phase. Canon is quite good for photo printing.

Godgirl 07-25-2013 08:59 PM

Do not go with Apple what ever you do. it is just a really expensive version of other computers. i have a compac that has lasted me forever with TONS of downloads. also hp is good.

Godgirl 07-27-2013 01:13 PM

by the way i got my info from my brother so i really have never tried apple but i have hered many different opinions