The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   bad cracks (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/bad-cracks-201393/)

martat 05-27-2013 06:54 PM

bad cracks

2 Attachment(s)
I had to trim this horse today. Never seen that bad hooves, so I'm confused. Both front hooves have symmetrical cracks-one from inside and one from outside. The sole seems very thin. What should be done to help this horse? How to trim these cracks properly? What could be the cause for these cracks? These are the only pictures I've got. Thanks

waresbear 05-27-2013 06:59 PM

Oh man, those are neglected hooves. Hopefully someone can help you out to trim this horse properly. I do however see blood coming from the heel in one picture, with hooves this badly neglected, I would bet this poor animal is not vaccinated against tetanus either.

spirit88 05-27-2013 08:03 PM

Those hoofs have more the bad crack issues going on.
Posted via Mobile Device

NorthernMama 05-27-2013 08:28 PM

IMO, this is a job for an experienced trimmer. Do you have someone that can come out? Not a simple job and not a quick fix. I don't think that I would attempt that by myself.

However, there is certainly not much that people can help you with unless you post more and better pictures. A full shot of the horse, standing square - at least one pic from the side. The hooves from the side (90 degrees) with the camera at ground level. Again from the exact front and the exact back. Pictures taken on an angle other than dead one front/back and right angles from the side can be very deceptive. A picture of the bottom (sole) of the hooves. And a picture taken when the hoof is held up, looking from the heel to the toe. -- like looking "down" the centerline of the bottom of the hoof.

Ensure the hooves are clean for each pic and the horse standing on clean, even and level ground (cement is great).

Wow. I hope this horse can be helped. Please keep us posted on what you can do for this horse and his/her progress.

smrobs 05-27-2013 08:32 PM

Wow, it looks to me like he's been foundered...repeatedly.

Poor guy, it's going to take forever to have hooves even remotely normal-ish. He'll probably never have good feet.

Is he sound?

loosie 05-27-2013 10:32 PM

Looks like you probably didn't do too badly, but this is a job for someone with lots of experience in rehab, not just a 'backyard trimmer'. So saying, I realise that in many parts, good trimmers/farriers are impossible to find. If you're in that boat, I'd keep looking for one tho, as well as studying all you can! e-hoofcare.com is one place that will help you help him. As NM said, we need more/better pix & info to give much specifics.

The big cracks were probably due to long term neglect & were really bad at one stage, and haven't(possibly can't) grown out due to continued inexpert, imbalanced trimming. His feet are flared all round, especially the quarters, and need some serious relief with strong bevelling. If there is any chance of any infection in those cracks, it would also be prudent to open them up, although resecting is another thing that is something for an experienced rehab trimmer. As the cracks appear full wall length, if they need to be opened up a substantial length, the hooves may need to be braced across the face of the cracks.

The constant rings on his feet, chronicness(is that a word?) of the flares and that you say he has flat soles means that chronic laminitis is very likely a big part of the problem too.

martat 05-28-2013 05:11 AM

Thank you all for your response! I'll make better pictures next time. I believe this horse was never trimmed before. I'm afraid it is impossible to find experienced rehab trimmer in my country, as there is only one or two certified farriers here. No school to learn either. So, with your help, I will try not to make it worse at least..

loosie 05-28-2013 07:50 AM

Tell us more Martat? Where are you situated? Is this your horse? If you trimmed him & think he's never been trimmed before, then it appears you did a good job, especially if you've had no/little help to learn. If you would like some specific opinions here - there are a number of experienced hoof care professionals - you can send more info - ie diet, living, etc, and more/different hoof pictures - check out the link in my signature below for what sort of pictures are best.

martat 05-30-2013 05:36 PM

Loosie I'm from Latvia. The horse is not mine, I just went there to trim her and few more. There are many people (not all) I know who believe that horses don't need any hoof care or they can be trimmed once or twice a year. So when I tell them about 6-8 weeks they look at me like I'm not really normal person. No wonder why hooves are that bad. Next time I go there I'll make all the pictures needed. Thanks for the links-very helped

loosie 05-31-2013 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martat (Post 2659553)
So when I tell them about 6-8 weeks they look at me like I'm not really normal person.

Hihihi! Oh, you just get used to people thinking that about you.... or maybe that's just me!:?:lol: