The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Tenn Walker/Bashkir Curly (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/tenn-walker-bashkir-curly-20140/)

Liv 01-04-2009 10:09 PM

Tenn Walker/Bashkir Curly

I've been raising Tennessee Walkers for quite a while now, and recently I've been running into an insane amount of Walker crosses. Not just the ones you always hear about, Friewalkers, Walkaloosas, Tennuvians, etc, but some I'd not even considered, both gaited and non-gaited. I ran into a woman who mostly bred her Walker stallion to Arabian or NSH mares, and some of the foals were very well built. The one that really peaked my interested, however, was a gaited Bashkir Curly/Walker cross. I met some at a local farm, and got the chance to ride one in a halter in their paddock. It was the coolest gait I've ever seen! The horses were intelligent, sweet, very willing, and could gait slower than my Walkers then faster than their running walk depending on the command. Just before I left, I learned that the one I had been riding had only been ridden three times before, and was a 3 year old (they looked at least 6! very well formed).

Has anyone else had any experience with these horses? I love raising Walkers, and I've never met a pure Bashkir Curly, but I was very impressed by their demeanor, especially being so young. I'm doing some more research, as I will be keeping one or two of my next foal season as broodmares if I get fillies, and I'm looking to the future.

Thanks!

Curly_Horse_CMT 01-05-2009 10:31 AM

I have two Bashkir Curlies, one of which is gaited. She is out of a purbred Curly father, whom was registered, and a Arab mare that was a grade. She is an AMAZING endurance animal, and she has the "curly shuffle" gait that has amazing stamina. It is in between the walk and the trot, and can cover alot of ground. It is similar to a running walk in a walker, but has a different feel to it. Only about 10% of the breed are gaited. My other gelding is not gaited, but he has alot of Appaloosa in his background (he is more foundation bred) so he could have very well had the potential to be gaited. The Curlies have their gait coming from one of he founding studs, The Yellow Hornet, who had the Appaloosa shuffle. The Curlies are the best endurance horses I know. I know of one other whom is gaited, and she is crossed with a Halflinger. She is also registered, and her gait is awsome to watch. I think that it is a little altered with her being half Halflinger (she has the egg beater gait going on where she flings her feet off to the side) but you can still tell that she is gaited. At first they thought that there was something wrong with her in her back end but then we discussed it and she is gaited.

People are now crossing the Curlies with Missouri Fox Trotters to get the gait along with the curls. It may help improve the gait, as well as conformation. Alot of the Curlies were slaughtered when they were found out to be gaited and since they were curly people thought that there was something "wrong" with them. I wish that there were more people out there breeding them! I got my one gelding from a breeder that saved him from a bad situation. They are TOUGH, TOUGH, TOUGH horses, ones that can withstand any storm, or heat or whatever. I have never met a breed that could beat a curly at whatever discripline. They are just an awsome breed that I cant say enough about :lol:

HunterJumperCowgirl 01-05-2009 11:11 AM

I have rode 2 pure breed American Bashir Curlys, and I Loved them! On of them was a 12 yr old buckskin mare and she was great, I was a new rider when I meet the too so I wanted a calm horse. She was great and did what ever I asked with no complain. As I got better I rode her son, a 4 yr. old. he was sooooo calm. I couldnt belive it! lol, I love this breed and would buy one in a heart beat

mindari 03-08-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liv (Post 221999)
I've been raising Tennessee Walkers for quite a while now, and recently I've been running into an insane amount of Walker crosses. Not just the ones you always hear about, Friewalkers, Walkaloosas, Tennuvians, etc, but some I'd not even considered, both gaited and non-gaited. I ran into a woman who mostly bred her Walker stallion to Arabian or NSH mares, and some of the foals were very well built. The one that really peaked my interested, however, was a gaited Bashkir Curly/Walker cross. I met some at a local farm, and got the chance to ride one in a halter in their paddock. It was the coolest gait I've ever seen! The horses were intelligent, sweet, very willing, and could gait slower than my Walkers then faster than their running walk depending on the command. Just before I left, I learned that the one I had been riding had only been ridden three times before, and was a 3 year old (they looked at least 6! very well formed).

Has anyone else had any experience with these horses? I love raising Walkers, and I've never met a pure Bashkir Curly, but I was very impressed by their demeanor, especially being so young. I'm doing some more research, as I will be keeping one or two of my next foal season as broodmares if I get fillies, and I'm looking to the future.

Thanks!

I see this is a pretty old thread, I am in Australia and was googling gaited curlies and it sent me to this thread.

we have a friend whose daughter is allergic to horses yet is a wonderful rider, problem is she had to wear gloves and totally covered or she swells up and cant see and found myself wondering if curlies were in australia this kid wouuld still be able to ride and not have so much allergie problem with her horse.

as well I have a peruvian paso mare and wondered ,,,gait and allergy free would have to be a win win as my grandson is horse mad and allergic.

anyone know who I could contact with gaited curlies?

any advice greatly appreciated.

cheers

SueNH 03-17-2013 08:51 AM

My old pony mare is a gaited curly. She kinda does an indian shuffle but I never worked on getting it consistent with her. She's one of the lost Mckay herd. At one time we had it narrowed down to 4 mares that were all closely related but we never did figure out which one she was.

Very smart, very sensible horses. As far as hypo-allergenic...I couldn't tell you. I do know her winter coat is tremendously thick and when she sheds I have a pile of hair that looks like a draft was brushed out instead of an 11 hand pony.

Did a quick google search for "curly horses, Australia and a few things came up.

Here's one.

Yarraleigh Curly Horse Stud Australia

mindari 03-18-2013 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SueNH (Post 1941507)
My old pony mare is a gaited curly. She kinda does an indian shuffle but I never worked on getting it consistent with her. She's one of the lost Mckay herd. At one time we had it narrowed down to 4 mares that were all closely related but we never did figure out which one she was.

Very smart, very sensible horses. As far as hypo-allergenic...I couldn't tell you. I do know her winter coat is tremendously thick and when she sheds I have a pile of hair that looks like a draft was brushed out instead of an 11 hand pony.

Did a quick google search for "curly horses, Australia and a few things came up.

Here's one.

Many thanks, much appreciated. Love the brush out mind picture..maybe you should bag it and sell is for canary nesting?

I see many birds around here busy collecting the horse hair when ours are shedding, even though they are not curly horses

ButtInTheDirt 03-31-2013 10:12 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I would say one of the defining traits of Curly horses, aside from their curl, is their personality and overall demeanor. There are gaited 'purebred' Curlies that had MFT and TWH in their blood, as well as horses with the Indian Shuffle gait from Appaloosa ancestry. I own three Curlies, none who gait, but I know of plenty who can. All three have the friendliness and intelligence the breed is known for. Of course each animal has their separate personality, but I have not yet met a Curly who was unfriendly or sour by nature. Even my now two month old filly was friendly from day one, and had such interest in people that astonishes me. I have seen plenty of other foals, but most of whom are very tentative to approach humans and don't stick around for much. She was not shy with me, and even now will approach me in the pasture with enthusiasm. Sometimes things like this happen where foals are born particularly fond of people, but this girl is quite similar to most of her Curly brethren. Also, they tend to stop and think things through rather than bolt. And with their friendly demeanor some tend to be pushy because some people let them. My girls were a tad when I got them, the older mare more than the younger, but now they know their boundaries.

Just for fun, I've attached a few picture of my own Curlies. I can't deny that I love sharing them with the world! Forgive their scruffy, dirty, dusty, fatty-ness as spring is really doing a number on them.

I have heard of some Curlies in Australia, gaited I'm not so sure, but there was a breeder who had their stud's first Aussie foal born in 2012. I'll look it up. Also for anyone interested in looking around for Curly horse bloodlines curlyhorses.info is a very good Curly horse database, similar to allbreedpedigree.com but with just Curlies. Mine are CMC Simitars Rose Red, Tenakee, and Takala Rose.

ButtInTheDirt 03-31-2013 10:17 PM

Another Curly good source of Curly information is curlyhorsecountry.com. You can find breeders/owners all over the world using their Curly Locator Map.

As for hypoallergenic qualities, while I have not seen it myself, others swear it. Their is no animal that is truly hypoallergenic, but many who suffer from allergies find no reaction to Curly horses. Even straight-haired Curlies yield the same results.

mindari 04-05-2013 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SueNH (Post 1941507)

Here's one.

Awesome, thanks so much.