The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Retraining ponies! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/retraining-ponies-20155/)

lovemyponies 01-05-2009 10:17 AM

Retraining ponies!

Okay at our barn we have two ponies that we need to use for lessons but can't. One of them is a medium morgan cross that was never formally trained. He is spooky, too fast, won't go on the bit, etc. I trail ride him because I can easily ride out his spooks and love his fast gaits, but does not work for young novice riders. The other is a smaller welsh/shetland cross who was a show pony years ago. She can do it all, great mover, jumper etc. Problem is she hasn't been ridden in at least 5 years (about 20) and once you get on her she just runs. We have been working her in round pen and she is much better, but still a very hard mouth (no brakes)

We were thinking of sending them both off for training. The morgan cross doesn't even know how to lunge. He needs to learn to get on the bit, drop his head and collect. He barely knows how to turn properly since he has always been trail ridden (he is about 12)

I am going to round pen them both and ride in arena making lots of circles and transitions. Going to try side reins on the morgan. Any other suggestions?
biggest problem is time, I can't work with them every day. That is why a month long training might be best with a pro.

thanks!

Jdun722 01-05-2009 04:29 PM

If you don't have that much time to devote to them then yes I suppose you should send them to a trainer who would be able to work with them more often. Lesson ponies are generally calm and Very Patient. Maybe you should work on them being patient before you send them to a trainer?

lovemyponies 01-05-2009 04:34 PM

yes I agree, we are going to try to work out a schedule at the barn so someone works with them as often as possible, lunging, roundpen work. They are fine being handled and groomed for kids, and walking around, they are both just speedy and unpredictable beyond a walk. I agree doing some "prework" will make their training go by more easily. thx

SaddleUp158 01-05-2009 05:10 PM

I would just start off with them as though they are just starting their training. Start working them in hand-turn on haunches, turn on the forehand, backing up, side pass, leg yield. Then start with lunging and in lines work.